Saturday, August 15, 2015

One Comic Perfectly Illustrates How Wrong Deniers of Global Warming Are


Earth from Space with Stars

Photo courtesy of DonkeyHotey Flickr Page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/donkeyhotey/6143809369




The old button from the Environmental Club days which I just happened to find on Earth Day! It is a little beat up (particularly the ends of the ribbon), but no worse for the wear, I think. And it is one of the few items that I have left from those days, so it carries a lot of great memories for me! Nothing Changes Until You Do!





Here is a picture of a very similar logo, with the same message, that was on the t-shirt that I purchased from the BCC Environmental Club and, if memory serves me correctly, may even have helped to make. There were a few projects like that which club members, myself included, were regularly involved with. It has been so long, however, that I no longer recall specifically if I actually helped to make these or not, although I do believe so, since I remember seeing the process of the t-shirts being dyed. In any case, I loved this t-shirt, and have kept it ever since, even if I do not regularly wear it. Since it was part of my experience with the BCC Environmental Club days, as well as more generally having an environmental theme, it seemed appropriate to share it here. 



"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's gred."

~Mahatma Gandhi


"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
  
~John F. Kennedy  

Some time ago, I mentioned this particular comic in some blog entry or other that I posted, and with good reason.

To me, this comic perfectly illustrates the narrow-mindedness and short-sightedness of those who try to cast doubt and block action on climate change. Regardless of whether they are actually in a legitimate position to be authorities on the subject, because they do not see it specifically, they refuse to believe in it.

And it is pretty plain to see who is fueling (quite literally) this blatant disregard of scientific thinking. The most prominent would be the oil companies, who want to continue to rake in as many profits all over the world by drilling wherever they want to, including in protected areas, and to keep selling big, gas guzzling vehicles like the SUV's that we Americans collectively seem to love, and which dominate the roadways of suburban America.

Of course, they are not alone. There are other major polluters who fight stricter environmental regulations because it costs money, and it is cheaper and easier and more profitable to keep polluting. And there are advocates of polluting corporations who also, just by sheer political principal, adamantly refuse to give the government any ability or power of either creating or overseeing these kinds of regulations.

In all, despite their relatively small numbers (much like the NRA and their supporters), these people have huge sway, and have managed to thwart more progressive environmental legislation and action because of their staunch and effective opposition.

Even though they are powerful, that certainly does not make them right. And this cartoon encapsulates how wrong they are in arguing against global warming/climate change, and dismissing it as some kind of elaborate hoax or farce.

Please take a look at it by clicking on the link below, and hopefully you appreciate it as much as I did:

This One Comic Perfectly Shuts Down Deniers of Global Warming:

No comments:

Post a Comment