Monday, April 29, 2013

RIP- Richie Havens

This is a bit late. I have been meaning to do this since I first heard about the passing of Richie Havens several days ago. Yet, I am only getting around to it now. No disrespect intended.

Richie Havens enjoyed a long and distinguished musical career. He was best known for opening the legendary Woodstock concert. Perhaps his most famous individual piece was actually an improv right on stage for the Woodstock concert, titled "Freedom". Havens also performed at the inauguration of President Bill Clinton.

This came two years after his breakout album, "Mixed Bag".

His last album, "Nobody Left to Crown", was released in 2008.

He was born and raised in Brooklyn.

I will regret not having made more of a point of seeing Richie Havens a couple of years ago when I still had that chance. I was kind of on a Woodstock fix, having just gone there to see Ringo Starr and his All-Starr Band. Seeing the actual field where the historic concert was held, and really being able to appreciate it in person for the first time, made me want to see some of those artists that were there. That included Richie Havens, of course.

RIP, Richie Havens, January 21, 1941 - April, 22, 2013


http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/04/23/178470389/richie-havens-folk-singer-who-opened-woodstock-has-died

No comments:

Post a Comment