Monday, February 16, 2015

London Takes Status as "Best City in the World" From Paris

This is a little outdated, admittedly. Also, I do not know that any city, much like any country, can truly be quantified and judged in any real sense as the "best" or the "greatest" in the world. After all, numerous times, I have launched arguments against Americentrist arguments and sentiments that have expressed that the United States is "God's Country", or the "greatest country in the world" and so, similarly, I reject the notion that any given city can and should be declared better than all others.

That said, certain cities do tend to possess certain qualities that can allow them to stand out. Being French personally, and with a family that came from the greater Paris area, I had many opportunities to explore Paris and get familiar with it, and so my own views might be slanted. Also, admittedly, I have never (yet) been to London, although it is definitely on my list. If given the chance I would love to visit such places as the Tower of London, Tower Bridge and the buildings of Parliament across the Thames, The British Museum, and, of course, Abbey Road (I'm a huge Beatles fan, after all).

Still, I ran into this article some time ago that suggested that London overtook Paris as the "best city in the world" and thought it interesting. Interesting enough to share, in any case.

So, here it is, the blog (admittedly outdated) that was in storage among so many other unpublished blog entries from the past. Just happened to stumble upon it while looking for something else entirely, and figured that maybe this link deserved the light of day.

I have heard numerous arguments for what would qualify a city as being, or achieving the status of by some organization or another, "the best in the world". Beauty, to me, would earn high marks. Affordability and livability, assuming we are discussing cities not just to visit, but for real people (and not just millionaires) to live in.

Also, strong public transportation would be a must. Proximity to some clear spaces and untamed lands or woods. Numerous other factors also would have to be taken into consideration, although when I heard an official debate on this topic many years ago, the specifics escape me now.

A fascinating topic, however, and one that I thought would be interesting to share!

Here is the link:


London steals title of best city in the world from Paris

http://news.yahoo.com/london-steals-title-best-city-world-paris-082514726.html

No comments:

Post a Comment