Sunday, March 22, 2015

One Last Snowstorm For This Season?

I wrote this yesterday, and thought it might be nice to publish it today. It is, more or less, about the last winter storm (most likely) for this season, as spring is now officially here, and surely right around the corner in any case.


So, here I am, early on a Saturday morning. Feeling incredibly tired, having not gotten a really great night's sleep, and having woken up early and cleaned two cars from the snow storm.

It was beautiful following the storm, with the snow still clinging this morning to the trees, as it has not yet warmed up, and the winds are silent. It looks like a winter wonderland.

Most likely, this is the last winter storm that we will see in the area this season, although you never know. I thought that a couple of weeks ago, when we started to have some very mild, almost warm, days. Yet, more snow came.

Still, this is the time of the year when I do not mind it as much, since the winter is coming to an end. This is when I, personally, can appreciate it more than earlier in the cold weather season, when it was tiring to see yet another winter storm, and you knew that it was still early, and there were plenty of chances to see yet more snow somewhere down the line.

I have to go shortly. For once, my procrastination is the writing, since I really should be in the shower and, quite possibly, already in the car and on my way. As I write this, the clock reads 8:03am, and my girlfriend is in bed, dead tired. She took a nap shortly after getting home from work yesterday, even though I tried to warn her that this would prevent her from sleeping well at night. She is complaining now this morning that her nap really did not help, and that she wished she had not taken it. Still, I myself feel dead tired, and would like nothing better than to go back to bed and sleep for a few more hours, at least.

Now, it reads 8:06am. I have to be somewhere by 9am. It is not a short drive, and the conditions are likely not that bad, although I cannot be sure.

In fact, let me take a bit of a leave now (although you will not notice it), and return to this post once all the morning's festivities are done.

Okay, I am back. This may have seem like a second to you reading this. But it is now a quarter to seven in the evening, and I feel utterly exhausted. It's just that I have not gotten all that much rest the last couple of days or so, and it seems to be catching up with me now. Despite it not being quite seven in the evening on Saturday, I feel ready for bed already!

However, there is still some writing to do.

The subject was on the unexpected snowstorm yesterday, which was, technically at least, the first day of spring. It was also the day that felt the least like spring in a good couple of weeks or so, roughly speaking. But again, there was a pleasant feel to this storm, as far as snowstorms go.

If it had been in January or February, when there is still a long way of winter to go, it likely would have felt entirely less pleasant, admittedly.

But March is different. It feels warmer, and the snow pretty much melted on it's own hours after it stopped snowing. I cleaned off the car of the snow, but by early this afternoon, all of the snow had already melted, and there was no trace left of any snowfall. In fact, in the part of suburban northern New Jersey that I was in earlier today (Lyndhurst), all of the snow had pretty much melted away by early afternoon.

This is pretty much one of my favorite times of the year, his very early spring season. It is right up there with the autumn, because the weather is great. The colors in the fall season are gorgeous, as the excess and heat of summer burns away, reflected in the maroon, orange, and gold of the foliage.

Spring is the other great season, and it is appreciated after the long and harsh winter season. We can enjoy the end of frigid, subfreezing temperatures and the head aches, back aches, and even hand aches from winter storms that force us to shovel a ton of snow. Warmth returns, and with it, new life. Yes, it sounds cliche, but spring is the season of new life. The grass is green, buds start to appear in the trees, and streams are full from the melting snows.

No, it does not feel fully like that just yet. Does not look much like spring yet, either, since there is still plenty of snow on the ground, too.

Spring is coming, though. Make no mistake about it. Official or not, spring will be coming soon. And it was with the promise of spring soon to come that I was able to enjoy this one last winter storm (I'm guessing that it will be the last storm, in any case).

No comments:

Post a Comment