Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Coupe du Monde 1998 World Cup France v Arabie Saoudite/Saudi Arabia 1e Tour 1st Round




Like Super Bowl tickets, the tickets for the World Cup semifinal in Saint-Denis (as well as the tickets for the quarterfinal that my brother and I attended at Giants Stadium in 1994) are souvenir tickets, to add to that sense of it having been a really big deal. I absolutely loved them, and kept them both through the years. Even now, admittedly, I take them out every now and then to simply look at them, and appreciate the fact that my brother and I managed to go to such huge events, and in consecutive World Cups, to boot! The two nations that we are citizens of hosted the World Cup tournament back-to-back, which made me feel almost like an experienced aficionado after the semifinal with Croatia!



France wore their blue (home) jerseys for the game against Paraguay along with their traditional white shorts and red socks. Saudi Arabia wore white jerseys with green shorts. 












So, I posted the first game of France's remarkable and highly memorable 1998 World Cup title run yesterday, against South Africa.

Here is the second one, which they won handily against Saudi Arabia.

This is also the only game that France played from that tournament which I do not specifically remember. I did not watch it, probably because I was either at work or school. Even if I was not, these were the days well before I ever got cable, so I either would have had to settle for watching it on Telemundo, the Spanish language station, or not at all.

This was France's most dominant performance in the '98 World Cup tournament.


France v. Arabie Saoudite 1e Tour
18 juin 1998 - Coupe du Monde - Stade de France (Saint-Denis)


No comments:

Post a Comment