Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Tom Petty's 'Learning to Fly' With Stevie Nicks



A couple of  weeks, or perhaps even months, ago, I was perusing through Youtube, listening to some songs, when a video popped up of Tom Petty performing 'Learning to Fly' with Stevie Nicks. 

It was a good version of one of my favorite Petty songs. A very good version.

Obviously, I enjoyed it, but then kept going, kept listening to some other stuff, and did not think about it again. 

Until that particular version of 'Learning to Fly' came back into my head, and I longed to see it and hear it again. It was even better the second time around. And the third.

This was the first time that I had really made a point of listening to Tom Petty ever since he died a last year.

So, I just thought it would be something worth sharing here. It is an acoustic version, and somehow, this stripped down version seemed to resonate even more strongly than the original version for me. Of course, the original is great, and an awesome rock song. Petty had many of those, and the original version is one of those great driving songs, cruising down a highway on a sunny day (my favorite song to do that with, by the way, is Petty's 'Running Down a Dream'). 

But this version felt deeper, more personable. You can feel that desire to escape the pain of the world, to fly over his problems, his worries, like the song says.

Just an amazing version! Please, do yourself a favor, and take a listen to this version. It is billed as being with Stevie Nicks, and while that is true, she only does back-up vocals. Yet, it still is just an amazing, beautiful, yet very different version of a familiar song. Pretty sure that if you give it a chance, you'll really enjoy it, too! 

It helped to cheer me up earlier today. Maybe it will do the same for you.

2 comments:

  1. I would have liked a bit more Stevie, but still very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way, actually. After all, Stevie Nicks is billed quite prominently. However, the song itself sounds so amazing! Wow! Just wow! Beautiful!

      Delete