Monday, January 28, 2013

Album Review: Green Day's ¡Dos!






¡Dos!, I was told, was the one out of the trilogy of albums that Green Day released in 2012, and the one which the friend that lent it to me was quick to point out did not actually have any hits on it.

That said, it's still pretty good, and is further proof of the wide range that this group possesses. Some songs that are on here, you might never know were Green Day, if you didn't know any better. Now, I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty impressive, and worth noting. I like groups that move in different directions, musically. Where the music grows, as does the band, and not every album sounds the same. This one is proof that Green Day has strong range! For whatever the reason, I actually kind of liked this one better than the first one (which I reviewed yesterday, by the way - Shameless plug of my own work!). 

Here's a brief breakdown of each song on the album, and my take on them:


1. See You Tonight - If you didn't know any better, you would never know this song was from Green Day. It sounds like it could have been from another era altogether, one well before punk was ever around. This would not have sounded out of place playing on the jukebox at Arthur's, after "The Fonz" gave it a good smack, followed by his trademark, "Aaaaaaayyye!" Or, am I just dating myself with that particular reference?

2. Fuck Time - Despite the rather loud sounding title, this song isn't what you might think. In fact, this kind of sounds like it could have been popular in the fifties or sixties, as it has that old rock feel to it. Billie Joe adds a quality to the breathing that helps distinguish this song, and my poor words cannot bring to life what that adds to this song. One of the more distinctive pieces in the album, and very enjoyable. 

3. Stop When The Red Lights Flash - This is the first song in the album that sounded readily identifiable with what I have come to know as Green Day's traditional punk sound. 

4. Lazy Bones - Here, Green Day is definitely back to their unmistakable, distinct sound. That friend who lent this to me liked this song in particular, and felt that he could relate to the lyrics. After listening to it, I can understand why, given the absurd work environment that we both simultaneously joke and rant about. 

5.  Wild One - Again, some overtones of older, more simplistic classic rock tunes. Sounds good overall. 

6. Makeout Party - A more aggressive sounding song that would have fit in perfectly in Dookie, with equally naughty lyrics. Very enjoyable!

7. Stray Heart - This song really reminded me of something. One song that it keeps getting compared to is The Jam's "A Town Called Malice", but that's not the song that I was thinking of, specifically. It smacks of something, and I know that I've seen it, as well as heard it, on some kind of advertisement, but I can't quite put my finger on it. A good song, though, and Green Day, despite some obvious influences from others, nonetheless take this one another direction, ultimately, and wind up with a very good and unique song. 

8. Ashley - A different sounding fast song. It has that punk feel to it, and yet, there's something a bit different to it. Perhaps it's the repetitive "Ashley" refrain that is used to good effect. For whatever the reason, this ranked among my favorites of the album. 

9. Baby Eyes - Another older style song that might not have seemed out of place in some of their earlier works. A good burst of energy that the band releases. 

10. Lady Cobra -  This one reminded me a little bit of the White Stripes "Fell In Love With A Girl", for whatever the reason. Not sure if that comparison is justified or not, but there you go. 

11. Nightlife - This is one of my favorite songs on the whole album. Lady Cobra is featured on this song, and she lends a very sexy quality to this one. This is just enjoyable to listen, in a naughty, seductive kind of way. Now, why do I feel like a pervert in saying that? 

12. Wow! That's Loud -  Another song that is more typical of Green Day's faster sound, and yet, it sounds a bit different, too. It has an almost old rock style sound in some respects. 

13. Amy - This is a softer song, with only the acoustic guitar and the voice of Billie Joe Armstrong. It is a touching tribute to the late, troubled British singer, Amy Winehouse. 


All in all, a solid album. As my friend suggested, this one really does not have songs that have seen much radio play, for whatever the reason. But it has some catchy tunes, as well as some hard rocking pieces, and reflects well on the group and their diversity. In this album, you'll hear some stuff from Green Day that will likely surprise you, as it did me. James, the friend who lent me the album, warned me that this was so, and he was right! You just might be impressed, as I was, by their range! 

No comments:

Post a Comment