Thursday, January 15, 2015

Step Brothers Special Features .

There are a few movies that I never seem to get tired of watching. I mentioned Tombstone a few weeks ago, which is a movie that I cannot completely understand why I like so much. But there are others, like The Matrix, Star Wars (any of the original trilogy), the Indiana Jones movies, E.T., Forrest Gump, 12 Monkeys, Unbreakable, The Fugitive, the original Planet of the Apes, The Shawshank Redemption, Mother Night, Hearts in Atlantis, Stephen King's Storm of the Century, and certain others that are not coming immediately to mind at the moment.

There are some television shows like that, as well. TV shows like The Incredible Hulk series from the late seventies/early eighties. Mad Men and Flight of the Conchords are more recent additions in that category.

It is almost inexplicable, really. Why are some movies tiresome after maybe five minutes, and some not tiresome after five or more times watching it?

Yet, there are movies that you did not like the first time around, but which you suddenly "get" a whole lot more when you view it next. I had heard a lot of great things about The Big Lebowski but, when after first viewing it, admit that it seemed less than truly impressive. When I saw it again for the first time in almost a decade and a half last year, it was a whole lot funnier. I could not get through Pulp Fiction when a friend of mine and I went to go see it in the movie theaters back in 1994. But a year later, when we watched it from beginning to end, it became one of those movies that I never really get tired of.

There are also some movies that I absolutely loved, at least the first time watching it. But, they lose their power when you see it again, and lose something with each subsequent watching. A good example of that would be Borat, which was hilarious the first time that I viewed it. I mean, my eyes were tearing up, and I had to pause it (it was on a DVD already, not in the movie theaters) to catch my breath, before starting up again. It was still funny the second and third time, but considerably less so. But a fourth or fifth time, even after years in between? No, it does not get any funnier.

Maybe that is unique to comedies, although even then, some comedies I really enjoy watching repeatedly. Me, Myself and Irene would be a perfect example. Dumb and Dumber, as well as numerous Jim Carey movies would be others, because there is, for some reason, always something that I missed the first time that I suddenly "get" upon viewing it again.

In any case, this is yet another movie - and a comedy, no less! - that I have simply not gotten tired of (yet). It is still hilarious, and John C. Reilly in particular is brilliant in this one. His acting has always seemed solid to me, but after seeing this movie, I wondered why he had not featured more prominently in comedic roles? He obviously has a strong talent for it. There is something in his face, in his expressions and body language, which shows a level of seriousness and intensity even under the most ridiculous circumstances and actions. Just watch the part where he is singing "Boats and Hoes" and you will see what I mean! Will Ferrell is funny, of course. But you come to expect that with the comedic roles that he plays all of the time. It is not as common to see Reilly in such a role, although it should be! He was really hilarious in this one!

Recently, I found this clip of roughly half an hour, which is filled with deleted scenes and specials and such. I had not seen these before, but found it very funny! Take a look for yourself:




No comments:

Post a Comment