Thursday, April 19, 2018

It: Movie Review



Okay, so I finally saw it.

I know it should not have taken me, a big fan of Stephen King, quite as long as it did to finally see this movie, especially when there was so much buzz about it back in late summer or early autumn, when it came out in the movies. In my defense, my girlfriend never has any interest in watching horror movies, and I figured my son is still a bit young for that kind of thing, and those are the two main people that I spend most time with and do the most with.

That meant that I had to wait for it had to come out on DVD, and I waited until it became available at my local library in Hillsborough. Finally, just by chance, I saw it there for the first time yesterday, and decided to go ahead and borrow it for a few days.

Five hours after that, I had finally watched it, after taking a walk and eating dinner. My girlfriend, however, absolutely refused, asked me several times to lower the sound, and actually closed the bedroom door and watched her rom-com, while I watched my horror flick.

Typical Friday night, eh?

So, what are my thoughts? Well, first of all, it makes me want to read the book again, because I could have sworn that a lot of scenes in the movie were not in the book, or were very different. Some things, though, they got a little bit more accurately than the first movie, such as when Henry carves the first letter of his name onto Ben's belly. Also, the deadlights, which were an intriguing scene, and they got that more right than the original movie, as well. Finally, "They all float" is explained a lot better in this movie than in the original.

By and large, though, this was just a darker, far more sinister version of the original movie, which probably got a little too comical at times with the clown. This clown is far more sinister and, yes, far scarier, and that's what you want in a horror movie, right?

But It is more than just Pennywise the Clown. It only appears as a clown at times, when it suits it's needs. In fact, it takes different forms, and we see a bit of that in the movie.

This movie stays truer to the book, I feel, than the original movie, in terms of scares, if not outright literally. There were certain scenes, like seeing It doing evil and going after the viewer/reader of books on Derry's town history.

All in all, a decent movie, and a fun one for fans of horror and/or Stephen King. Admittedly, it was not as scary as I thought ti might be, although then again, I am in my forties now. Certainly, I was not about to let my son watch this, which might speak well of it's credentials as a horror flick.

Recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment