Sunday, April 29, 2018

Some Places to Visit in Istanbul

I have never been to Istanbul. At least not yet, as I write this.

That said, it was a city that always intrigued me, at least ever since my Byzanitne history class at Rutgers in particular. The thought of visiting a city so rich in history, a city that was, for all intents and purposes, the "new Rome," so to speak, and which fell several times and eventually became on of the most important cities in the Islamic world, it is just incredibly fascinating.

Istanbul is where a whole bunch of different cultures come together, and where history meets modernity. The prominence of a fairly large body of water, the divide between two continents, and the incredible old mosques like the Hagia Sofia (which used to be a huge church) all lend this city an air of mystery and tremendous beauty.

Seeing the movie The Promise last year also revealed some beautiful scenes from the city and the surrounding areas that put me in the mood to visit. Still, though, it has only remained a dream, at least to this point.

So no, I have not yet been there. However, I came across this article recently, and thought it might come in use someday in the future, if I am fortunate enough to visit this city someday. In the meantime, just in case someone else gets the opportunity to visit this historic city, perhaps this might help you to find some lesser known sites worth visiting!

Here is the link to the article that got me on this topic to begin with. Enjoy!




WHAT TO DO IN ISTANBUL, FROM MUST-DOS TO LESSER-KNOWN GEMS written by Chris Mitchell April 19, 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment