Monday, April 23, 2018

Spring is Really, Finally Here!




Earth from Space with Stars

Photo courtesy of DonkeyHotey Flickr Page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/donkeyhotey/6143809369





The old button from the Environmental Club days which I just happened to find on Earth Day! It is a little beat up (particularly the ends of the ribbon), but no worse for the wear, I think. And it is one of the few items that I have left from those days, so it carries a lot of great memories for me! Nothing Changes Until You Do!



Here is a picture of a very similar logo, with the same message, that was on the t-shirt that I purchased from the BCC Environmental Club and, if memory serves me correctly, may even have helped to make. There were a few projects like that which club members, myself included, were regularly involved with. It has been so long, however, that I no longer recall specifically if I actually helped to make these or not, although I do believe so, since I remember seeing the process of the t-shirts being dyed. In any case, I loved this t-shirt, and have kept it ever since, even if I do not regularly wear it. Since it was part of my experience with the BCC Environmental Club days, as well as more generally having an environmental theme, it seemed appropriate to share it here. 



"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed."

~Mahatma Gandhi


"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
  
~John F. Kennedy  






“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms.”   

~Henry David Thoreau, Walden: Or, Life in the Woods


"Our goal is not just an environment of clean air and water and scenic beauty. The objective is an environment of decency, quality and mutual respect for all other human beings and all other living creatures."
~Senator Gaylord Nelson, Founder of Earth Day



Hello, and here is sincerely hoping that everyone enjoyed their Earth Day weekend.

Normally on Earth Day, my son and I make a tradition of going for a nice hike. And the weather was lovely enough for just such a hike.

And yet, it was an ultra busy weekend, and I found myself completely exhausted and, essentially, unable to really muster the energy for a hike, even a small one.

As I write this now, though, I feel the disappointment in myself for failing to make this more of a priority, and am inwardly vowing to change all of this, and make up for it with plenty of very good hikes to come. 

However, this was a gorgeous weekend. And after the long spell of largely bad weather that we had, I had really hoped to get out for some fresh air on this of all days.

But it did not happen.

Okay, update: my son and I finally got to take that hike, although it came on the day after Earth Day, instead of on Earth Day itself. Still, it was a beautiful day, virtually perfect weather. It was sunny and bright, but not too hot or blinding. It's still early and cool enough that bugs are not a major problem just yet. And it was too nice of a day to let waste yet again.

So, we went, for the first time in nearly two months. It had snowed a lot in March shortly after that hike on March 1st, and then we got tons of rain. Plus, again, I got extremely busy, and did not have quite the level of freedom to do it as I would have wanted to. In fact, I probably did not have the time to do it today, but it was too beautiful, and it is a good, positive activity for both my son and I. And so, we went for our first real hike of the spring.

One amazing surprise: we saw a bald eagle! It was the first bald eagle that I have ever seen in the wild, meaning not in captivity. Same with my son, for that matter. I have seen some at zoos and such, but never before have I seen them in the wild. They have been reintroduced, slowly but surely, here in the northeast, and to my surprise, we actually got to see one!

What a privilege!








XXxX

No comments:

Post a Comment