Wednesday, December 11, 2013

"Giant Blob" of Hot Rock Under Icy Antarctica

So, I happened on this, and thought it was fascinating enough to share.

There is a hot blob of rock underneath part of western Antarctica, precisely where you would not expect so see something like that. This is a "hot zone" if you will, in one of the world's coldest regions by far. The contrast just surprised me enough that it seemed necessary to share this article from LiveScience.

In any case, one thing I am not is a scientist. I could try to really scrutinize the article and then give my weak, unsure interpretation, leaving myself open to mistakes that could then be used against me later. Or, I could simply post the link and welcome you to go take a look for yourself, and read all of the facts about this case from someone who is a lot more qualified in geology than myself.

The choice was obvious, then. So, here is the link:



"Giant Blob of Hot Rock Hidden Under Antarctic Ice" by Becky Oskin, Staff Writer for LiveScience.com, December 10, 2013:

http://m.livescience.com/41847-west-antarctica-possible-hot-spot.html

No comments:

Post a Comment