Friday, September 5, 2014

Hiking at Norvin Green




Yes, I have been trying to take my son hiking at least once or so a week this year. It was a tradition that I tried to start last year, although we stopped once the brutal winter came.

Well, this year, I have been trying to do it again. Instead of having him hang out at home and watch endless hours of crap on television, or play endless hours of video games, I force him (admittedly, that is what it usually amounts to) to go hiking with me.

One of the hikes that I prefer is at Norvin Green, off of Otterhole, right on the border of West Milford and Bloomingdale. Particularly, across the street from the parking area, there is a decent level hike, with a moderate degree of difficulty. It usually take about 40 to 45 minutes, but you definitely feel like you have gotten a good workout in.

Sometimes, I take him on much easier hikes, but coming here, to make sure he gets some exercise (as well as gets to enjoy the nice views from the clearings!

So, that is where we went yesterday.

And, it was nice. A bit hot and humid, and isn't it strange how summer all of a sudden decided to show up now that it's September?

Still, there were traces of the fall season to come, with some of the leaves already turning!

It was beautiful, and here are some pictures that it seemed would be nice to share:







My son climbed this large rock at one of the clearing. It came out a bit dark, but this also seems to lend it some almost mysterious qualities, no? 

3 comments:

  1. I predict a day will come when he'll look back on these hikes he was forced to go on fondly, even thankfully. But it will probably be years before that happens. There's all sorts of stuff different people in the family did for me over the years that I took for granted at the time, and in which I saw little to no value, for which I'm grateful now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm actually banking on that. It's for his benefit not just now, but to recall (hopefully fondly) in the future. It is good for him physically, as well as mentally. And even though he is still a child (and usually talks about video games and weapons during these hikes), it may help him to feel a better sense of connection with the woods, and camping, and outdoor activities in general, at some time in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, concerning camping, I'd say the fire and stars were a big hit. When it's cloudy and drizzling on the other hand - not so much. But then that's understandable.

      Delete