Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Monday Night Football Recap Week 3 & Predictions for Week 4

Denver Broncos 37, Oakland Raiders 21


Everyone expected the Broncos to be simply too much for the Raiders on Monday Night Football.

As it turns out, they were.

The Broncos looked the part of a powerhouse once again, scoring early and often, building a sizeable lead (they were winning 27-7 at the half), and then essentially cruising the rest of the way.

More or less, that is exactly what happened, to boot.

The Broncos offense put on a clinic, and Manning was simply unbelievable. He continued at an amazing pace, completing 32 of 37 pass attempts for 374 yards and three touchdowns. That already gives him 12 touchdown passes on the season, and that after only three games! That is a new record for so early on, and keep in mind that he has not even thrown an interception yet this season!

Those are some staggering, mind-blowing statistics. He just seems to get better with age. And frankly, since he is around my age, how could I not root for the guy even more than I perhaps normally would?

He has already won a record four MVP awards. Right now, he has to be considered the favorite, and a big favorite at that, for a fifth MVP award. Especially if he not only stays healthy, but keeps up such a strong pace. The season is long, and this is just the beginning. But Manning is perhaps the greatest quarterback, at least statistically speaking. He just keeps adding to his already considerable legacy!

My preseason pick for the Super Bowl was the Broncos (I picked them beating the Seattle Seahawks in the big game). Of course, I was not alone. A lot of people picked them to do it this year, and so far, they are showing the wisdom of such faith in their talent.

What an incredible team!



Predictions for Week 4


Okay, so....predictions for Week 4 in the NFL:

But first, I should mention how I did last week. Sixteen games, and I went 8-8 with those predictions. Hardly something to show off about, but there you have it.

Still, I feel better that I could hardly do worse this weekend, and hope to get more right this time. So, here goes:

Let me start off with my Giants. Before the game yesterday, I was talking to a Giants fan, and told him that if the GIants lose to Carolina, their season is over. I said that if they go 0-3, they likely aren't beating the Chiefs at Arrowhead, which is always a tough place to play. And that means they will fall to 0-4, and that would just be too much.

They are playing just terribly, and frankly, I see no reason why they will suddenly make everything work and hand Kansas City their first loss. Therefore, I am going with KC to remain unbeaten, and the G-Men, the defending Super Bowl champions at this time last year (and who got off to a very strong start to boot back then) to inexplicably go winless in the month of September this time around. Again, they are done.

Otherwise, there is a battle of unbeaten teams, as the New Orleans Saints, fully recovered from last year's debacle, take on the surprising Miami Dolphins. I will predict that the superior experience of the Saints should prove the difference, and they should win.

The Atlanta Falcons see their season in jeopardy, and they have to get things right in a hurry. The problem? They also arte playing an unbeaten team again next weekend, as they face the New England Patriots. But this will be in Atlanta, and the Falcons are not as bad as their 1-2 mark would suggest. I see them handing the Pats their first loss of the season.

The Colts should win at Jacksonville, and I see the Jets falling to the Titans in Tennessee, and the Raiders keeping the Redskins winless in Oakland. The Lions host the Bears, and I think Detroit will hand Chicago their first loss of the season, creating a two-way tie between the two teams in the NFC North. Tampa gets their first win of the season against the Cardinals. In a battle of winless teams, I like Minnesota putting it all together enough, and actually stunning the Steelers to an 0-4 start. The Broncos should handle the Eagles in Denver, while the Cowboys stay hot in San Diego.

Can I predict any upsets? Both the Rams and the 49ers will try to rebound from two straight losses each, as they face off on Thursday Night Football. I will predict another bad game for Kaepernick and the injury-plagued 49ers, as the Rams pull themselves together and win a big game against a division rival that they enjoyed surprising success against last season.

Also, I will take the Bills surprising the Super Bowl champion Ravens in Buffalo. Finally, I see the Browns surprising the Bengals in Cleveland, which would create a three-way tie for first place in the AFC North, if my other picks go through.


No comments:

Post a Comment