Sunday, February 25, 2018

The Princess Bride - A Movie Review


It had been many, many years since the last time that I saw one of my favorite movies, 'The Princess Bride.'

Inconceivable!

In truth, I had tried to get my son to watch it some years ago, but he dismissed it, thought it was too babyish for him. But last weekend, it came on the television, and I thought it would be a good idea to watch it together, having again not seen it in so long, and frankly, rather missing it.

So, we watched.

There are so many things about this movie that I really love! The fact that it evokes pleasant memories of my own childhood, yet it is a movie that both children and adults can enjoy - a true family movie - would be one such thing. Andre the Giant being one of the actors in this film as well makes it feel special. It has a great deal of Old World charm, being a fairy tale harking back to medieval times, and the age of chivalry and princesses and castles. Yet, it makes modern day references (well, modern at least for 1987), and has a lot of little cultural Easter eggs in it. It does not take itself too seriously, yet there is nonetheless action, drama, humor, and iconic scenes and lines.

In short, it is just a great movie!

Really, this one is fun for the entire family. Personally, I enjoyed it when I first saw it as a kid, and still enjoyed watching it throughout my teens, my young adulthood, and now, for the first time in many years, it felt that this movie aged very well. If anything, it seems to have just gotten better, and funnier, over time.

Plus, there are some of those immortal lines that have sometimes become a cultural thing, with inside jokes about it. One of the ones that I have seen continually online is this one:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

That was, of course, Inigo Montoya's response to Vizzini's constant use of the word "inconceivable!" Inigo also uttered the now famous words, "My name is Inigo Montayo. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

If you are not familiar with this movie yet wondered why so many people love it so, or if you have heard some of these lines before but were never aware of where they came from, or even if you have never heard any of these lines nor heard of the movie, please do yourself a favor and give it a shot.

It is funny and at times exciting, and throughout, it is heartwarming and just solid entertainment!

Highly recommend this movie, even if, like me, you are watching it again after having gone entirely too long without seeing it. 

6 Common Sayings That Mean The Opposite Of What You Think Well that's not what we had in mind... Jun 1, 2017   by Lisa Douglas  SHARE  TWEET CURIOUS


No comments:

Post a Comment