Saturday, September 1, 2018

Ghostly Reflections in Stanley Hotel's Mirrors?

So, yesterday, I abruptly stopped writing my usual blog entry, which was focused on the recent trip to the Rockies that my son and I took. After seeing something that I could not really explain, and which may - with the emphasis on may - be evidence of some strange occurrence in a mirror there, I decided to focus on it today, and perhaps organize my own thoughts on the matter in the process.

There are three pictures that I took of the mirror, and it should be noted that I had heard that strange things had been seen in pictures after the fact, at least in this particular hotel, which is supposed to be haunted. Now, it also should be noted that I felt nothing while actually visiting the hotel. Yes, I am a Stephen King fan, and I was there to see the hotel that served as the inspiration for his famous novel, "The Shining." Stanley Kubrick made a very famous, even iconic, movie that is fairly loosely based on the book, although King himself was not a fan of the movie, feeling that it focused too much on the man (Jack Nicholson's character, Jack Torrence, who he says clearly seems insane), and not enough on the hotel itself, which King stresses is where the real evil in the story can be found. Ultimately, a television miniseries was aired in 1997, more than a decade and a half after the famous first film came out, and it was more to King's liking. It was filmed right at the Stanley Hotel.

Now, King probably got some sense that there was something strange about the Stanley Hotel, which he stayed at before writing "The Shining," and which clearly served as the inspiration. But that did not mean that I, personally, expected to feel anything. And, let's face it, I didn't. It was interesting, and suppose perhaps even might be spooky at night. But during the daytime, it felt like any grand old house or building. Yes, it can have an eerie feel to it, but that could be said of almost any place, quite literally. Make a claim that ghosts were spotted, or that strange and inexplicable occurrences keep happening somewhere, and you will likely get a whole bunch of people who will visit and claim that they felt something.

That said, I took the tour, and only noticed how strange this particular photo (the third one within this group of pictures, although it might have been the first photo that I took - will have to double-check) actually was. Here's the deal: there are three pictures of a mirror taken from the same angle. Two of them appear normal, with the mirror revealing nothing unusual. But one picture shows something blurry within it. So let's first take a look at the two normal pictures, if you will:





Okay, so one thing that I noticed in the second picture is that there is what appears to be a dress in the lower right corner. She must have been walking toward the lobby, and looking to her right, but not towards me or the camera. That explains why she would have come out blurry, I imagine. The more that I look at the figure, the more it seems to me that it is a person, with their head turned to the right, towards the front desk, but not back and to the right, towards the camera, and me. 

So, while it was exciting and incredibly intriguing for a little while, I do believe that this is the explanation for this. It took me by surprise, and definitely caught my attention. I showed it to a few people, and they, also, were intrigued. But when I decided to take a much closer look at all of the pictures, it was inescapable to me that the dress is clearly revealed in the second picture.

Also, it seems that a face can kind of be made out, albeit distorted by the movement, towards the bottom of the picture, near the staircase. It is not clear, to be sure, and I had assumed that my cell camera was a bit better quality than this. But when I stopped focusing exclusively on what seemed, at first glance and with the initial excitement, to be an apparition, I noticed that the design on the walls appeared a bit blurry, as well, which is not the case in the other pictures.

All of this would suggest that this case is closed, and that there really is no huge mystery to be solved here.

Still, this intrigued me enough to review all of the photos taken at the Stanley Hotel on this trip more thoroughly, and to investigate and scrutinize them a bit more closely. It might take some time, but I will post them all here, even though some are repetitive, like this one of this mirror by the stairway near the lobby.


No comments:

Post a Comment