Friday, August 31, 2018

Western Trip Day 9 - Ghost in the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park?

We were down to just one full day left,  and there was no time to waste.  I had to urge my son along on this morning,  because he seemed especially intent on stalling for time.  Perhaps the constant rushing was causing him fatigue.  But we had just this last one full day left,  and it was not to go to waste.

So,  we headed past Boulder,  a town that we both really enjoyed,  and headed towards Estes Park,  the town that enters into Rocky Mountain National Park.

But before we entered the park, we visited the famous Stanley Hotel. This is a supposedly haunted hotel,  and was famously the inspiration for Stephen King's famous novel, The Shining.

This visit was really cool for a fan of Stephen King,  like me.  The halls now have very different carpets,  which are admittedly not as scary.  However,  the place otherwise looks like the hotel from both the novel and the two movies. In fact,  the second movie (the one that King himself was a part of), was actually filmed right here at this very location.

King stayed here, famously in room 217. He must have gotten some of the original ideas for his fictional hotel from the ghost stories that are a part of the real Stanley Hotel. We all know that he likes stories about isolation,  and surely at the time that he stayed here, the hotel was on a much quieter location.  I am not sure that it was anywhere near as isolated as he made his fictional hotel from the novel,  but it surely was a lot smaller and quieter of a town back then. In fact, it very well may have seemed to King like a very isolated hotel, although surely it was not as isolated as he made his Overlook Hotel in The Shining.





















Okay, in all seriousness, I had to stop right here. I was going to write more in this particular blog entry. I have to say that I felt absolutely nothing strange while in the hotel. But now, as I uploaded and then downloaded these pictures, I came across something strange, that I cannot explain. Mind you, I had been told that there were stories of ghosts showing up particularly in mirrors, so I focused on them, and took several picture of each. There are three sets of pictures for this particular mirror. The first two seem completely normal. Here they are:






Now, here's the third picture. I swear to God that I did not do anything or play any tricks here. This is the third picture, and there is clearly something there. Yet, it comes out blurry, even though everything else is crystal clear. I do not remember a person passing by at this time, although admittedly, I also do not remember no one passing by, either. Still, the image is blurry, and it seems almost like you can still see the staircase through the image, or the person, in front of the mirror. Perhaps it is a person passing by, moving, which would account for some blurriness. Yet, they do not appear in the picture itself separately, and I think I would have noticed someone wearing clothes that looked like that. The hands are not clearly distinguished. None of the features of the person (always assuming it is a person) are what they should be, it seems to me.

Here is the third picture. Maybe I was so psyched to see something strange in this picture, that I am allowing myself to get carried away, or my admittedly vivid imagination to run away with me. Please take a look at the picture, and judge for yourself:


1 comment: