Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Long, Snowy Days

 









Yes,  we definitely got pounded with snow over the past few days. 

It made my work days a lot more challenging. 

The storm was supposed to begin on Sunday evening. Yet, by a quarter to one in the afternoon,  my girlfriend told me that it was already snowing by us. Sticking,  too. 

This was much earlier than any forecast had foreseen. And it meant that I would only effectively return home just to take a nap and a quick shower,  maybe grab some food,  and then head back into the clearly worsening roads. 

I made it to work that evening,  but not surprisingly,  it wound up being a much longer shift than usual.  Instead of the normal eight,  it wound up being a 14 1/2 hour shift.  

Luckily,  the job had set it up so that those of us stuck working at the actual worksite could stay at one of the numerous nearby hotels.  So,  I made my reservation at the Hampton Inn Parsippany. And it really made a difference.  I was able to lay down and sleep in an actual,  comfortable bed.  After that,  there was a nice,  hot shower,  which helped both wake me up and clean up just before the next shift.

Then,  I worked from midnight to eight in the morning,  took a brief break and showered again at the hotel,  then went to work another eight hour shift at my second job,  which is nearby and happened to be short-staffed. 

So right now,  while writing this on my cell phone,  the fatigue,  both physical and mental,  is wearing on me. I have three days off coming up soon,  and feel like I have earned the right to rest and catch up on sleep. 

Hope everyone out there is staying safe and in good shape on their end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment