Saturday, February 27, 2021

Taverny


Taverny was the main town that my brother and I stayed at during our summer trips to France in the eighties. Our aunt and her then husband had a second residence in a small farming town in rural eastern France, not terribly far from the German border, called Leffond, and it was charming. By contrast, Taverny was busy, as a suburb of Paris. Yet, it had some charm.

They lived within easy view of the train station, and were right on the edge of the main street of what could be considered the downtown area of Taverny. One of my favorite activities was to go to the local magazine shop/bookstore and peruse through the comics, mostly Tintin, but sometimes Marvel comics back then. It was most likely at this bookstore that I got the postcards of Taverny posted below.

It was in the final childhood trip there, if you can call it that, in the summer of 1989 (I was 14 years old) when I actually explored the town more in depth on my own. I visited the church, which is actually quite nice (see pictures from the postcards below). There is a park, and one fascinating thing that I ran into, almost accidentally, was a small collection of menhirs, like smaller versions of the ones in Stonehenge. They have those in parts of France as well, but those were the only ones that I ever remember seeing. 

In any case, mostly I have pleasant memories of Taverny, and thought that it would be a good thing to share some of them here, as well as some pictures of the postcards that I obtained from the last eighties trip there, from the year of the Bicentennial of the French Revolution, in 1989.

Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment