Friday, December 22, 2017

Star Wars Complaints Can Go Every Which Way



Shortly, hopefully over the weekend, I will be publishing my full review, with spoilers, of the new Star Wars movie, "The Last Jedi."

Now, I understand that fans tend to be fickle, to the point of absurdity. Also, there is no pleasing everyone, all of the time. Obviously, that is just not possible.

Some people really loved the movie, and some obviously did not. Once more, I was rather amazed at how different the responses were. The reviews that I read in the days before seeing the film last weekend were almost all exclusively great, raving about how wonderful "The Last Jedi" was, insisting that it ranked up there with the first three of the original trilogy.

Then, you go see the movie and...well, it's not everything that they were saying that it was. Some of the ideas were fresh, and certainly, there was some element of surprise, because there are some things that happen that you just did not see coming beforehand.

For fans like me, who remember the old Luke Skywalker, this new version was not entirely to our liking. More on that in the spoiler review over the weekend, although I still do not want to provide any spoilers until then, at least.

However, one of the most important things to me was that my son enjoy the movie, and he said that he did. Very much so, in fact. I do not think that he cared about supposed breaches of the Star Wars canon, like some people my age or so seem to be doing, feeling that the movie even ruined the original trilogy for them. That is important to me, and so I cannot view this latest Star Wars installment as a total failure. In fact, it was an entertaining movie, filled with emotional twists and turns and humor. And if my son loved it, then that is a major plus on the side of the movie.

I ran into this spoof article of a review blasting "The Empire Strikes Back," which is often viewed as the greatest of the Star Wars movies. Some solid points are made, and indeed, we need to remember that, at the end of the day, Star Wars is supposed to be entertaining above all else. There will always be fans who feel annoyed or even betrayed by the direction that the new films take, and again, I also had my issues with the latest movie (don't even get me started with Leia!). 

After all, I just saw someone rate all of the Star Wars movies from favorite to least favorite, and he rated Return of the Jedi - one of my personal favorites - at the very bottom! So, everyone has different tastes.

Read the article below, which is worthy of The Onion, and see if perhaps the author does not make some solid points about how ESB, which is usually held up as the standard by which all other Star Wars movies are measured, could itself be blasted.





Darren J. GendronFollow Dec 19 The Empire Strikes Back RUINED Star Wars


No comments:

Post a Comment