Friday, December 22, 2017

RIP, Dick Enberg

Dick Enberg died last evening. He was 82 years old.

Enberg was a longtime sports commentator, famous for his phrase, "Oh, my!"

I remember him doing that during Super Bowl XXIII, which was one of the eight Super Bowls that he was a commentator for. He said, simply, "The San Francisco 49ers. The Cincinnati Bengals. Oh, my!"

He was a major sports commentator, doing some very famous football games, but also doing baseball and tennis. I remember him well especially as an NFL fan, as well as a tennis fan. He even contributed to the NBC Olympic coverage in the 1980's and 1990's.

I actually saw him walking around during the one year that I attended the U.S. Open. We were walking around the main stadium, and he came out of a trailer. Our eyes locked, as I recognized who he was, and he recognized my recognition. He nodded his head and said hi, and I probably mumbled something incoherent, which tends to be my trademark response.

Enberg was a good commentator through the years, and showed rather amazing range in his ability to commentate. He will be missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment