Friday, March 20, 2020

American Elections These Days Offer No Real Hope Anymore

When I was a kid, I was so naive that I actually looked forward to major (particularly presidential) election years. Admittedly, I was hopeful for another John F. Kennedy and, failing that, in any case, it seemed like a good opportunity for the general public to become more informed about the issues that mattered most. At the time, it was a mystery to me how adults could be so cynical about elections, 

Nowadays, these elections sicken me as well. That has been particularly true since 2000, and especially since 2004, in particular, when this country gave George W. Bush and his failed policies and presidency another four years. It was even worse in 2016, and frankly, 2020 is shaping up to be yet another futile election cycle.

It seems clear to me with each passing election that whatever the problems this country faces, it is not through the absurd election system that we have in place today that we are going to fix our problems.

Why?

Because rigged elections with obscene amounts of shady money are not meant to be in the public interest, and are harming our democracy.

To that end, I thought that this was worth sharing:


Chris Hedges & Abby Martin: No Way Out Through Elections


No comments:

Post a Comment