Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Humanity Encompassed in One Great Quote by the Dalai Lama

So, I just wrote a blog entry earlier explaining that I have been extremely busy and distracted lately with the goings on in my life, and that is true. Some good things, other not so good things.

All I can say is that right now, I just feel mentally and physically exhausted. Having just turned 40 a short while ago, I began to really feel my age these last few days. My neck became sore a week or two ago (can't even remember how long it's been). Then, my shoulder began to hurt after the last session of volleyball. And I mean, it's still really sore. Those two pains have now kind of meshed into one larger pain in that general area of my body.

Also, my knees hurt. That's nothing new, but the thing is, I have not even been doing as much as I used to when those pains came before, and that's pretty alarming!

Finally, and this is the one that kind of makes me feel really old, my left hip hurts. Not majorly, but enough that I definitely feel it, and try to avoid sleeping on that side. Nothing reminds you of your rapidly advancing age like your hip hurting.

It's just been a whirlwind lately, and I want these next few weeks to just kind of be over with. No, more than that! I really want this year, 2014, to finally be finished!

No, I'm not one of those people that talk about ways to "kill time", or wants the next few days to pass like a blur until the weekend, and so on. Far from it! In fact, I sincerely believe in trying to make the most of every day!

But these last few weeks have just been far too much! Too many problems, too much stress, too much everything! It's par for the course, the way that this year has been going. It really has been one thing after another, and I guess that I just figured that things cannot simply continue like this forever. At some point, it needs to end, right?

And frankly, this year, this calendar year in particular, seemed just to be loaded with crap, almost from the get go. It feels like once you get past one mine field, there's another one waiting for you. And I guess I lost my desire to find out what's next.

In the past, I tried to find meaning in different places. One thing that really intrigued me for some time was Buddhism. Not only did I find inspiration and comfort in reading the material, but I would go to a meditation group once a week, although I was never very good at meditating. That said, I have kind of moved away from it in recent years.

Still, this quote is something that I've seen and was very impressed with before, but it had a particularly pronounced kind of meaning upon encountering it yesterday, with everything else going on in my life presently. And it seemed like something that needed to be shared here!

So, here is a quote, one of the most powerful and telling quote about our human condition right now from the Dalai Lama:


The Dalai Lama was asked what surprised him the most; he said,

“Man, because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived.”

http://forcecarrier.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/dalai-lama-on-mans-life/

No comments:

Post a Comment