Thursday, December 31, 2015

Rebound Relationships

We all know that rebound relationships are supposed to be a bad idea, right? After all, your heart isn't in it, because you're still in love with someone else, and so that doesn't work. We've all been there before, right?

About two years ago, I was going out with a girl for a couple of dates, and she seemed really interested in trying to establish a relationship. But admittedly, I had someone else on my mind, and she sensed something was wrong. When I finally told her, she said, with an attitude that I never suspected that she could muster, that she would not play second fiddle to anyone, and she told me that it was too bad, because she thought we might have had something. She then turned around and we never really spoke again.

Now, that's not exactly a sob story, or anything. Again, we have not kept in touch, and hopefully, she does have someone in her life that makes her happy. I certainly harbor no ill will or anything towards her. But the depth of her anger, of how much she seemed to take offense to it, did admittedly surprise me. Not sure why, since it seems obvious - who wants to be in second place, let alone in the heart of your special someone?

The thing was, I had to tell her that, because it was the reality, and even though i was not sure how she would react, she deserved to know. I had to tell her.

Of course, as it turned out, that also meant the end between this one girl and myself, and on some level, I still feel a bit bad about it, when I do think about it (which is not often, admittedly). My intention was not necessarily to end it, although perhaps in retrospect, it was naive to think I would just tell her, and that she would be cool with it.

Fact of the matter is, no one wants to be in a relationship with someone on the rebound, and perhaps that is where the perception of rebound relationships being a terrible thing comes from. It's not fair to either party, really, right?

Well, actually, not so fast.

Here is an article that suggests that, in fact, maybe rebound relationships are not such a bad thing. Furthermore, in fact, there is the suggestions that they may indeed be a good thing.



http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/19/rebound-relationships_n_4994403.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

No comments:

Post a Comment