Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Star Wars Movie Reviews







It had been a few years since I last got excited about anything to do with Star Wars. Really, probably around the time of the last movie, Revenge of the Sith. Back then, I was so excited about what appeared to me to be the final movie (at least, I recall George Lucas suggesting that it would be the last one), that I bought the book and read it before the movie came out. Yes, it spoiled some aspects of the movie but, let's face it, we all knew how it was bound to end, right? I mean, it was not a secret that he becomes Darth Vader, and it was pretty clear by then that Chancellor Palpatine would become the Emperor and lead Anakin to the Dark Side.

In any case, the book, which was written by Matthew Stover, was rather brilliant. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the book was not only better than the movie, but much better, at that. The movie felt to take too long at certain points, and seemed rushed at other points. Anakin's simple abandon, his conceding to turn to the Dark Side after Palpatine has destroyed Mace Windu felt rushed and not convincing in the movie, while in the book, the pull towards the Dark Side was much clearer. Yes, I know that there is a lot more psychology to work with in a book, but still, a lot of aspects of the book worked better than the movie, and I wish that the movie had been closer to the book.

So, for a few months, I felt completely obsessed with Star Wars. I read the book, and started reading some other Star Wars books. Obviously, I collected the toys, and not only went to see the movie, but saw a midnight screening, and then saw it again shortly afterward. And illegal though it might have been, I made a copy of a bootleg that a friend lent to me that itself was almost DVD quality, and must have watched that movie half a dozen times that year alone. Some parts of it I surely watched much, much more, such as when the injured Anakin actually gets fixed up and then finds the mask, the final piece to his new look to what we were familiar with as Darth Vader.

That was the last time that I felt completely obsessed with Star Wars, and it was a throwback to my childhood, when there were many times that I felt obsessed with the franchise. I only saw one of the original movies in the theater back then, before they were all re-released in 1997. My family went to see Return of the Jedi in the movie theaters, and I was blown away. The guy who does these cool reviews below made me laugh when he talked about how incredible it seemed that Luke Skywalker had a green lightsaber, since the only two colors of lightsabers prior to that were simply blue and red. His exaggerated excitement probably matched my own at the time, and his recollections of just how different things were at that time, before the internet and endless speculation on what would happen in the new movie, and fears of leaks and such.

These were really cool reviews that I spent a lot of time watching on Tuesday, the day after taking my son to see the new Star Wars movie. He seems to be on a bit of a Star Wars kick himself since the movie, and I would like to finally get him to see all of the movies.

In any case, here are reviews of all of the movies, except for the most recent one. he has two for The Force Awakens, one without a spoiler, and one that does have spoilers. I already added the video to my own non-spoiler review, and will add the spoiler one to my own spoiler review, which hopefully will be published tomorrow.

Here are the videos for the other six movies that preceded the most recent one:

























This was a rather strange link that appears to be a compilation of some clips from the movies, and it seemed fitting to share it here, even if I did not actually watch this in it's entirety, but just played a couple of minutes and skipped around a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment