Sunday, October 18, 2020

Very Bizarre Weekend

Yes,  it proved to be a most unusual weekend that I just had,  and in more ways than one. 

What happened to make me say that?

Well,  consider some of the following things that,  alone,  would be unusual,  but taken all together,  made this weekend stand out in many ways.  

First,  to start the weekend off,  I had a strange bout of insomnia.  I work overnights,  and have every third Friday off.  This was that weekend.  For some reason,  it seemed a good idea to me not to sleep much on Thursday,  believing that I would be so exhausted by Friday night,  that I would fall asleep quickly.  That is what happened,  except that I woke up a little after midnight,  and could not get back to sleep until after five in the morning.  That left me less than one hour before I had to get up for work. 

Then,  the coworker who usually relieves me on the weekend job asked if I could stay an extra hour,  something that he had never asked me to do in the year that I have been working there. 

When I got out,  there was way more traffic than usual,  and it seemed like everyone was spread across all lanes on Interstate 287, making passing very difficult,  and sometimes impossible. 

Later that night, on my way to the full-time job,  I hit a deer for only the second time in my life. The good thing was that I didn't hit it hard,  and probably more bumped into it than anything else.  It ran off,  joining his or her mother.  My car showed no visible damage,  either. 

Then on Sunday morning,  after getting coffee during the hour between the end of my overnight shift and the start of my morning shift at the weekend job,  I pulled into the parking lot to find a bunch of police and firefighters hovering near the main entrance.  Apparently, there had been a fire alarm that had gone off around 6:30 in the morning.  By the time that everything was fully settled and the normal quiet restored,  it was well after eight in the morning. 

So yes, more than a little unusual, given all of these things combined. 

Now,  I am not normally one of those people who just want to kill time and/or merely get through a day or a period of time.  But all of this gave me a bit of a sense of foreboding regarding this weekend, and indeed,  I find myself just simply wanting this weekend to end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment