Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Another Snowstorm

Well, I'm pretty much ready for the springtime, now.

Another foot or so of snow fell, and I feel just exhausted now. I didn't even have it so bad, so I'm hardly in position to complain too much. After all, today was my day off, and since I work overnights, that means that I have been off since 8am yesterday, and was able to mostly avoid having to deal with this latest winter storm.

Yet, there are things that are annoying. I still had to clean both cars, and get them out of our spots. It was really cold. My rear passenger side tire has a slow leak, but it looked almost flat when I went out there to clear the snow.

And driving around, you really wonder why the worst conditions seem to consistently bring the worst habits in people when they drive. Too many people were taking chances, trying to see if they could cut me off, or perhaps make a turn when it is not very safe to do so. Just very annoying habits. People not clearing their cars.

Last, but not least - just too many people out and about in conditions like this, when the best thing to do, if at all possible, is stay home.

The cold has now hit, and it is going to be extremely cold here for the next few days. The next time it goes above freezing will be on Saturday, and only for part of the day. Then, we dip back down under freezing for several days, to my understanding.

Yes, it is tiresome. Like many people (if not most people), I am ready for spring.

There are things about the winter that I enjoy. First of all, you can breathe. It feels fresh, restorative. It can be very nice to come in from the cold, and enjoy a hot cup of chocolate, or coffee. The snow can obviously be beautiful, as well. When I was younger, I used to love the snow! There were snowball fights, you could make angels, and best of all, no school!! Perhaps, for those that love winter sports, you can go skiing, and do other things during the wintertime. I cannot say that I had gone skiing recently. The last time, if memory serves correctly, was back in 2004, and that's obviously a long time ago.

The cold weather holds a definite charm, up to a point. It feels nice when the evenings grow cool, and even cold, in October and November. The days begin to get cool, and then cold, by December, just in time for the holiday season. At that point, the cold weather just adds to the charm, I think. it fits.

But sometime after the new year, it begins to really feel old. It just becomes another storm, another cold front. Another day that you just don't want to even go outside, much like today. And yesterday. and tomorrow. And the weather for the near future.

So, here we are in the wintertime, but I await the spring. Not to repeat the sentiments of Bill Clinton, in his first inaugural address, but sometimes, you really do feel like forcing the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment