Monday, December 8, 2014

Jets Super Bowl III

I did it with the Giants, so why not with the Jets, as well?

The thing is, I have no memory of this game or these times, as this was well before I was even born.

When i was growing up, for the first few NFL seasons (really, until the Giants had that 14-2 season in 1986 and won the Super Bowl), the Jets seemed to always be he New York NFL franchise with the most success. They had come close to the Super Bowl in 1982, when they lost to the Dolphins in the AFC Championship.

But the big thing that separated the Jets from the Giants up until 1986 was that the Jets had actually won a Super Bowl. That legacy cast a shadow on the local rivalry at the time, and I actually had a kind of an inferiority complex as a Giants fan as a result.

Still, I am a Jets fan as well - they are my #2 team. And the nostalgia for an age that I was not even around for was strong. I was kind of in awe of the Jets and Broadway Joe Namath.

Now, with Youtube and the internet more generally, it's very easy to go back in time and check these television broadcasts from the days following the Jets stunning victory in Super Bowl III.


New York Jets Joe Namath Interview - 1969 Super Bowl III







Muhammad Ali talks with Joe Namath in 1969






Joe Namath, Jackie Robinson, Mickey Mantle in Sports Celebrity Golf Tournament 1969

No comments:

Post a Comment