Saturday, January 12, 2019

Congratulations to My Parents on Their New Home!

Many years ago, my parents retired. They began the arduous search for an ideal house, in a hopefully ideal location, that they could peacefully enjoy their retirement years in.

This search went on and on. It lasted years. There were trips to various regions, including upstate New York to the north, the Shenandoah Valley to the south, and West Virginia to the southwest. They were looking online at some homes in Pennsylvania, and as far away as Tennessee. Some homes looked good, even really good. But it always seemed that when they found what appeared to be the ideal home, something went wrong. Either the house wound up not offering anywhere near as much as the online description suggested, or the house had just gotten sold.

Obviously, when these kinds of incidents pile up, one after the other, it was a frustrating process. I even remember a point when my parents essentially gave up, and just decided that they would retire at their present house, even though they were tired of living in suburban New Jersey for various reasons, not least of which being the high cost of living and taxes. Also, that house has had some problems, and in some cases some bad memories, attached to it for years.

Perhaps that is why they resumed their search before too long. Suddenly, there were trips to distant locations again. Suddenly, they were looking at some homes again online.

Then, in November, they found the ideal house, almost by accident. The local real estate agent was hesitating to even show them the house, since it was perched on a hill, and with the winters in upstate New York, where this house is located, being quite harsh, she thought it might be too much for them. But my father suggested that they might as well take a look while there are up there. Why not, right?

Well, this ended up being the one! It was a great house, in a relatively ideal location, by a town with some life to it. The house appeared to be in good shape, and was exactly what they were looking for! Best of all, it was affordable. Very affordable!

When I found out, it was while my son and I were coming home from a trip up north to the Adirondacks and to Canada over an extended weekend. I called my mom, and she said that she had some news, that they had bought a house, and it was a done deal already. It was a shock, but I hoped that it was what they were looking for.

It is ironic that I found out that they had bought the house while returning from a trip to Canada, because I went up to accompany them, and help move in the first few items into their new home this past week, and fit in a brief trip to another part of Canada, one that was a couple of hours drive away from their new location. I had to see the house for myself, because of how amazing it sounded and looked. I saw the pictures, and could hardly believe that they had managed to find such a beautiful place for so cheap!

It really is a magnificent home! It has three bedrooms, and another room that, I think, could be turned into a bedroom, if they so wish. It also has two full bathrooms, and a decent amount of property. Not excessive. It is not a mansion. But it is nice. Surely, the nicest home that either of them likely has had. 

They earned it, I think. Both of them worked long and hard hours for many years. My father had suffered some physical injuries and endured ailments, to the point that he is partially crippled. And they had been searching long and far for a decent, affordable home to be able to enjoy their retirement in.

Frankly, I do not think that they could have found a much better place, or more bang for their buck than they did with their new place.  

It is perched on a hill and overlooks the town below, which is surprisingly vibrant and full of businesses, in an area where most towns do not have all of that going for them. They live on a hill that could prove treacherous during the winter, but they are ready to prepare for that by buying enough in advance to last several weeks, if need be.

Seemingly, they are set in the new place. I sure do hope it works out for them, and believe that it will. Really, it is a beauty.

Congratulations again to my parents on their well-deserved, beautiful new home!











1 comment: