Thursday, January 24, 2019

Daniel LaRusso Was the Violent Psychopath in Karate Kid!!


My childhood!

Really, the "Karate Kid" was one of the movies that I most identify with my own childhood. Somehow or other, my grandfather came to see this movie with us, and it was one of two movies that I remember him saying that he enjoyed, and suggesting that "the boys" (that would be my brother and I) seemed to have the knack for picking good movies.

My grandfather was not with us when my brother and I saw the second one, while accompanying my mom at her job in Manhattan. She gave us money to go see the movie, but the most memorable thing that happened was somebody having what seemed like an epileptic fit, or a seizure. I was really young, and did not know what was going on, nor what to do. Frankly, I do not even remember too well what happened afterward, although I think someone came and took the man away to a hospital, presumably, and everyone else continued watching the movie. 

Clearly, it took away from some of the enjoyment of the movie. That said, the second one was not as good as the first one. And the third one was almost comically bad, frankly. Nothing could touch the original movies, and I believe that includes all of the movies that have come out under this brand, not to mention the television show, "Cobra Kai," which I like and which is very nostalgic towards the original movie, but which nonetheless is not as good, or at least does not have the same old magic that the original movie had. 

The original movie made me appreciate Japanese culture - and Far Eastern culture more generally - in a way that nothing had before that. Even the second movie, which is supposed to take place in Japan itself, did not make me as fascinated with the Japanese culture as that first movie did. Suddenly, being patient and wise seemed cool, something to aspire to. It was one of the rare movies of the 1980's where Americans could learn a little something (and I would stress that it was only a little something, really just a glimpse and acknowledgement that another country does indeed exist) about another country, with the only other such movie that I can think of being "Crocodile Dundee."

Surely, the point of the movie hardly needs any kind of brief summary. But suffice to say, the main point was that a bullied teenager finds vindication, happiness, and acceptance by befriending an old and wise man who teaches him to have faith and confidence in himself, and to find his center. When he does that, he manages to defeat the bullies who have been tormenting him.

At least, that was what I thought, ever since seeing the original movie for the first time. Just imagine my wonder upon realizing that this was wrong!

My understanding and interpretation of a favorite childhood movie received a bit of a jolt after watching this video and realizing that it was Danny LaRusso who was the bully and prick throughout the entire movie! Johnny was the hero, trying to limit the completely out of control antics and violence of Larusso. In fact, we see now, in the series "Cobra Kai," that Larusso himself has become a little bit of a prick, and resembles somewhat the wealthy spoiled brats that we thought populated the original Cobra Kai dojo.

Now, just to be sure, everything that I just said is tongue in cheek. This video is meant as a joke, even though, after reviewing some of the comments, it became clear that not everybody got the joke. Some people acted truly shocked that this guy had gotten it so wrong! Humor is not something that everyone has or gets, I guess.

In any case, I enjoyed this video and laughed at the rewriting of the events. it was worthy of this era that we live in, when the most transparently selfish and corrupt megalomaniac that anyone could possibly imagine is seen as the selfless great hope who God himself put into the White House.

Watch the video, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Why did you make the video and say it was a joke. I re-watched the movie and most of what you said was true. Just some background I have a degree in psychology. So when I watched Daniel again he seems to be showing most to all symptoms of psychopathy.

    ReplyDelete