Sunday, August 11, 2019

50th Anniversary of Woodstock Festival: Three Days of Peace, Love & Music: Day 1



Okay, so I am now almost officially on vacation.

Almost.

And since I am not sure how much internet access I will have, nor how much writing I will be able to do here, I am posting this a little bit earlier than would normally have been the case. Ideally, it would have been the setlist for all three days done individually, on the actual 50th anniversary of each day. Since, however, I am not entirely sure that this is possible, these are being published a bit prematurely. 

Apologies about that.

Yes, it has been officially half a century since the Woodstock Music festival, and again, ideally, I would have posted this on the actual 50th anniversary, instead of just a few days before. However, it seems better to do this earlier than later, so they are getting published now.

Besides, I just attended a discussion about Woodstock (Woodstock: Back to the Garden Discussion Event With John Fogerty, Andy Zax & David Fricke at NYC's 92nd Street Y - Aug. 8, 2019) and published a review of this event already yesterday, so this is just keeping on topic, if you will, right? 

Here it is:



Day One - - Friday, August 15

The festival started at about 5 pm. There was some rain in the evening.



Richie Havens

  1. From the Prison
  2. Get Together
  3. From the Prison (Reprise)
  4. The Minstrel from Gault
  5. I'm a Stranger Here
  6. High Flying Bird
  7. I Can't Make It Anymore
  8. With a Little Help from My Friends
  9. Handsome Johnny
  10. Strawberry Fields Forever > Hey Jude
  11. Freedom (Motherless Child)

Sweetwater

  1. Motherless Child
  2. Look Out
  3. For Pete's Sake
  4. Day Song
  5. What's Wrong
  6. Crystal Spider
  7. Two Worlds
  8. Why Oh Why
  9. Let the Sunshine In
  10. Oh Happy Day

Bert Sommer

  1. Jennifer
  2. The Road to Travel
  3. I Wondered Where You Be
  4. She's Gone
  5. Things Are Going My Way
  6. And When It's Over
  7. Jeanette
  8. America
  9. A Note That Read
  10. Smile

Tim Hardin

  1. (How Can We) Hang on to a Dream
  2. Susan
  3. If I Were a Carpenter
  4. Reason to Believe
  5. You Upset the Grace of Living When You Lie
  6. Speak Like a Child
  7. Snow White Lady
  8. Blues on My Ceiling
  9. Simple Song of Freedom
  10. Misty Roses

Ravi Shankar

  1. Rāga Puriya-Dhanashri (Gat In Sawarital)
  2. Tabla Solo In Jhaptal
  3. Rāga Manj Kmahaj

Melanie Safka

  1. Close to It All
  2. Momma Momma
  3. Beautiful People
  4. Animal Crackers
  5. Mr. Tambourine Man
  6. Tuning My Guitar
  7. Birthday of the Sun

Arlo Guthrie

  1. Coming into Los Angeles
  2. Wheel of Fortune
  3. Walking Down the Line
  4. Arlo Speech: Exodus
  5. Oh Mary, Don't You Weep
  6. Every Hand in the Land
  7. Amazing Grace

Joan Baez

  1. Oh Happy Day
  2. The Last Thing On My Mind
  3. I Shall Be Released
  4. Story about how the Federal Marshalls came to take David Harris into custody
  5. No Expectations
  6. Joe Hill
  7. Sweet Sir Galahad
  8. Hickory Wind
  9. Drug Store Truck Driving Man
  10. I Live One Day at a Time
  11. Take Me Back to the Sweet Sunny South
  12. Let Me Wrap You in My Warm and Tender Love
  13. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
  14. We Shall Overcome



All of this information was taken from the following source (according to the website, it is entirely accurate, and it did seem like the best that I found, nevertheless):

http://woodstock.wikia.com/wiki/Setlist





No comments:

Post a Comment