Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Past Show Review: Bob Dylan at the Beacon Theater in New York City, November 26, 2019

Bob Dylan


Photo courtesy of F. Antolín Hernández's Flickr Page - Bob Dylan: https://www.flickr.com/photos/f_antolin/1428148840




When I published that entry about Bob Dylan’s 80th birthday earlier this week, it was surprising to find out that I had never in fact published a concert review of the Dylan show that my son and I went to in the fall of 2019. Not sure how this happened, or why it slipped my mind, but clearly it did.  

And so, it seemed important to remedy this.  

As mentioned also in that earlier blog entry, Dylan was one of those artists who had such a profound impact on his times – particularly but not exclusively the Sixties – that it felt like a necessity to not miss an opportunity to see him. Sure, I could have pushed it off a bit, but again, when an artist like him – at that time he was already 78 – is coming near you, you might want to take advantage of it, because you never know when that opportunity will come again. That perhaps is even more the case now, as we saw a pandemic arrive and alter the lives of almost everyone the world over. Things like concerts and getting a chance to see events, either sports or entertainment – no matter how legendary the artist may or may not be – became a very difficult task indeed. So all the more reason that I felt pleased to have actually went ahead and gotten the tickets, and then taken my son to see him.  

Who knows when – or even if – that opportunity will come again?  

I am not saying that Bob Dylan will never tour again, or come near us. Hell, it is not impossible that we will go and see him again. My main objective was to get my son to see Dylan, to add to the list of some major, even iconic artists that I had taken him to see. Those included the two surviving Beatles (not at the same time), the Rolling Stones, the Who, Robert Plant, John Fogerty (of Creedence Clearwater Revival), Temple of the Dog, Paul Simon, Fleetwood Mac, and some other artists, as well.  

So how was the show?  

Well, it was pretty good, of course. Dylan had a predictably mixed setlist, with some old classics and some newer, lesser known songs. Some of his most famous, iconic songs were not played, although that is something that I kind of understand he does sometimes. You sometimes cannot tell what he is going to do, although he apparently had the same basic setlist for pretty much all of his area appearances that month, and indeed, perhaps throughout this particular tour (It was called the “Never Ending Tour”), although I did not go through all of the dates to check, but just the New York dates.  

In any case, while I had some pictures up of the theater, and advertisements for this particular show, in that earlier birthday blog, I never actually did either publish a post on the show itself, nor post pictures of the show itself.  

It seemed time to remedy both of those things, and so here, without further ado, is my attempt to correct that.  

Below is the setlist for the show, as well as some pictures that I never before did get around to publishing. They did not come out particularly great, or anything, but at least I have a few semi-decent ones.  

Enjoy!





Bob Dylan Setlist at Beacon Theatre, New York, NY, USA NOV 26 2019:   
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dylan/2019/beacon-theatre-new-york-ny-239ac003.html     

Things Have Changed  (Bob on guitar)  
It Ain't Me, Babe  
Highway 61 Revisited  
Simple Twist of Fate  
When I Paint My Masterpiece  
Honest With Me  
Tryin' to Get to Heaven  
Make You Feel My Love  
Pay in Blood  Lenny Bruce  
Early Roman Kings  
Girl From the North Country  
Not Dark Yet  Thunder on the Mountain  
Soon After Midnight  
Gotta Serve Somebody  

Encore:  Ballad of a Thin Man (Bob on guitar)  
It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry   












































No comments:

Post a Comment