Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Anniversary of a Very Memorable RHCP Show at MSG (1996)






Today marks the 26th anniversary of a great show that I saw at Madison Square Garden.              

Yes, it was on this day – February 9th – back in 1996 that I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Silverchair was the opening act, and they were still largely teenagers. As it turns out, the Peppers would also bring out a special guest: Iggy Pop. Strange, because in some ways, Anthony Keidas and Iggy Pop always kind of remind me of one another, even though they are in fact very different styles of musicians and music and, most likely, different personalities as well.              

Anyway, that show was unique in some ways. First of all, it was delayed. Originally, it was supposed to have been in December. Also, it was to become televised as a special by MTV. And there were two different forms. One lasts about 25 minutes, and the other, about 45 minutes or so. Strangely, neither one incorporates the guest appearance by Iggy Pop. In fact, I do not believe that video of that collaboration even exists, although it was caught on audio (see the link below). So that was a bit strange, too. Another strange aspect about that televised version by MTV is that it deviated considerably from the actual concert itself. The setlist is ignored completely and it looks like a different concert entirely, the way that they did it, and in both versions. There are parts that I remember, but the actual concert had an entirely different feel to it.              

To date, it still stands as the only time that I have actually seen the Red Hot Chili Peppers, although that is about to change. At least it should, since last year, I got tickets to see them again when they go on tour later this year. 

The Red Hot Chili Peppers always intrigued me back then. They were a band that seemed to have a tremendous amount of energy, and a great sense of humor, when I was growing up. And so, they always had a certain strong appeal to me, even though I, like most people, admittedly, only really started to get hugely into them shortly after their Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic album. The band really reached their peak at this point, with that album, all of those television appearances and, of course, headlining the Lollapalooza tour that would greatly transform the musical landscape of the nineties, effectively completing what Nirvana had clearly begun.

Really, that was their huge, breakout album. At that point, they seemed to me to be a band that was possessed of an unknown, artistic quality, a band that, frankly, I should have been paying more attention to, instead of rather passively enjoying their stuff. Indeed, I could appreciate their humor, but they almost embodied an artistic spirit that seemed (to my teenage POV, at least) to be taking hold.

Now admittedly, I am not as big a fan of the band as I used to be. I like some of their more modern music, but felt that they have kind of been parodying themselves a bit since the Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic album. I still kick myself for not having seen them on tour supporting that particular album, and especially for the Lollapalooza tour in 1992.

Still, I did see this show, back on this day in 1996. They were still one of the relatively hot young bands that helped to define the nineties. And today, I honor that show, all of those years ago now, on the occasion of the anniversary of that show. 

2 comments:

  1. I too gradually lost interest in the RHCP after that album, but there are definitely still times when I find myself listening to their classics from the 80s and early 90s.

    As for Iggy's guest appearance, I didn't realize you'd seen him live prior to the Stooges show we saw at Jones Beach back in 2003. His appearance at the show you saw at the Garden actually makes sense. Although 70s funk is arguably the most obvious influence on the RHCP, there's definitely some punk and hard rock in there as well. As a matter of fact, they covered the Stooges' "Search and Destroy", and did a fine job of it.

    Do you happen to remember what caused that concert to be delayed?

    ReplyDelete