Tuesday, October 2, 2018

RIP, Charles Aznavour, 1924-2018



Recently, my brother mentioned to me in an email of the passing of a truly great, even legendary, French musician. 

Aznavour was born in Saint-Germain-des-Prรฉs, in Paris, France, on May 22, 1924. He died yesterday.

I was going to do some extensive research, but my brother's note informing me of Aznavour's death actually was a pretty good summary that gives a good idea of this man's prominence, and so I will simply put my brother's words here as the description of Aznavour's legendary musical career:

"Charles Aznavour's death, which I found out about a little while ago...He's widely considered to be one of the most iconic French-language singers of all time, he had a career spanning nearly 8 decades (though his first taste of real success came in the 1950s), he performed concerts in over 100 countries, and until his death was quite arguably France's greatest living singer. 

CNN voted him Entertainer of the 20th Century in 1998, and although I'm having trouble finding it online I seem to recall some major American magazine – perhaps Time, though I'm not sure – picking him as either the second greatest singer of the 20th century behind Sinatra, or the greatest just ahead of him. Here are a couple of articles that may be of interest to you."

RIP, Charles Aznavour.







Charles Aznavour, Enduring French Singer of Global Fame, Dies at 94


https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/obituaries/charles-aznavour-dead.html




Charles Aznavour, singer dubbed 'France's Frank Sinatra,' dies aged 94 By Saskya Vandoorne and Sheena McKenzie, CNN, October 1, 2018:



1 comment:

  1. If ever you've got some time to kill and are in the mood to listen to his best known songs – some of which I like a lot – I recommend going on YouTube and plugging in his name followed by "40 chansons d'or". RIP Charles Aznavour.

    ReplyDelete