Sunday, April 19, 2020

RIP, Gene Deitch, Who Helped Create Tom & Jerry Cartoons, Dead at 95




Gene Deitch, the animator and director for Popeye and Tom and Jerry cartoons, has died. He was 95 years old.

I learned of this sad news last night. Instantly, there was no doubt that a blog entry should be posted in his honor.

Why?

Because like most kids my age, I really, really enjoyed those cartoons growing up. That was true of Popeye, at least to some degree, especially when I was much younger. But Tom and Jerry was one of my very favorite cartoons. Admittedly, I enjoyed the ones that were criticized for being especially violent. Yes, they received a lot of criticism, but they were not meant to be taken seriously. Hell, they are nothing compared to the regular amount of blood and gore that we see on television or movies or video games these days.

Plus, they were just funny, man! Have to admit, my ears were tearing up from laughter while watching those cartoons, even as a full-grown adult now! Yes, I watched my favorite episodes, and thought it would be good to share them here. They were as follows, in chronological order:

Tom and Jerry Episode 46: Tennis Chumps  

Tom and Jerry, 44 Episode - Love That Pup  

Tom and Jerry 69:  Fit to Be Tied  

Tom and Jerry Episode 71: Cruise Cat  

Tom and Jerry Episode 74: Jerry and Jumbo







Popeye and Tom & Jerry Animator/Director Gene Deitch Dies at 95 by Breana Ceballos, April 18, 2020:

https://nerdbot.com/2020/04/18/popeye-and-tom-jerry-animator-gene-deitch-dies-at-95/?fbclid=IwAR33NKFLtxOHXeuGbtcq-g83Xjtr3-HgVz7cjiPeQXx3mDiun_WeoeCM6a8

No comments:

Post a Comment