Tuesday, November 9, 2021

My Son is Back From Seattle

 



Yes, my son is back, along with his mom (my ex). They were in Washington, visiting Seattle for a week, and they both really seemed to enjoy it.

These were the first pictures that I saw from their trip, other than the five that she had sent me several days ago or so, and which I already posted (and which are included here at the bottom, and which he is in and so obviously did not take). Most of these others, however, I believe were taken by him. They show that he is really getting quite good at photography. He is taking a class in it in his high school, and it really seems to be paying dividends now.

So I thought it would be a good idea to share them here. I did not have access to a still camera during either trip to Seattle that my then girlfriend and then wife (now ex) took back in 1997, and again in 2001. We did have some video footage, but that is not the same. But these feel like pictures that I might have taken, had I been on this trip. They certainly take me back to my own two visits to the Emerald City, both of which are now over 20 years ago!

The first time we went there, back in 1997, was just after her brother, Jason, had moved there. I had been excited to go to Seattle, for a variety of reasons. First of all, it is always exciting (for me) to see some new place that I have never been before. Seattle was exciting in particular because it was not only on the West Coast, but it was also where the great music scene of the nineties had taken place and been at it's peak just a few years earlier. And of course, it was nice just to be on vacation.

We did not see that much upon arriving, since it was late at night. However, I remember we stepped out of his front door the next day, and I was flabbergasted. To my left was the waters of Puget Sound down a hill, and above it, reflected in the waters, were the striking Olympic Mountains. To my right were the picturesque Cascade Mountains. The city was vibrant green, and to see the stunning scenery of snow-capped mountain peaks in the distance (but not too far in the distance) was amazing. Both of us were amazed by the beauty and felt ready to move there. Some of these pictures below capture that for me, and show why it was such an appealing place. The mountains, the tall trees (which they unfortunately did not get to visit on this trip), the Space Needle, the music scene, the coffee shops, and so many other things, including it getting dark after about 10pm, which reminded me of France and Paris, all of it just felt great. These pictures by my son show just how magical the city can seem. 

Here are the pictures, which came out great.

Enjoy!










My son and his Uncle Jason























2 comments: