Thursday, January 2, 2014

First Snowstorm in 2014!

So, I thought it might be nice to add a couple of so blog entries before I rush off to work, hours early, before the snow gets here.

This winter storm is supposed to really be something. It is a massive system, and the snow totals in some parts of the country - particularly eastern New England - is predicted to be more suitably measured in feet than in inches.

Here in New Jersey, we are not supposed to have quite so much snow dumped on us. Still, it is supposed to be bad. They keep saying anywhere from 7 to 10 inches, roughly.

Also, this is supposed to have record cold temperatures, with single digits consistent through tonight and into tomorrow, especially. It will feel like well below zero.

Dangerous conditions by any measure.

It is the first snowstorm of 2014, which is not even fully two days old as I write this.

I have been in a significant car accident with not much snow on the ground (and I was completely stopped at the time my car was struck!). Also, there have been plenty of other episodes, generally more minor than that, but enough to tell me to make sure I leave for work not only in plenty of time, but hours and hours early. I am bringing heavy clothes to try and keep warm, as well as extra food and plenty of reading material. So, I'm assuming I should be good. Never minded waiting out major winter storms at work either well before or well after my shift, so long as there are things that I can do to keep myself occupied, like reading, or watching movies, and such. With enough food, it should be a minor inconvenience at worst.

So, you know what I'll be doing starting maybe a couple of hours from now (it is roughly 4pm EST).

If you are in parts of the country affected by this winter storm, you also need to take precautions and make sure that you stay safe and as warm as possible. Temperatures here in Jersey will be very, very cold, but yet, they are nothing compared to the temperatures that the news has been reporting for parts of the Midwest. one town in Minnesota is supposed to have a high of -4F, and a low estimated at -20F!

That's not weather to mess with, or to try and go out and show how macho you are, or how easily your new, big truck can handle tough conditions.

Stay inside as much as possible, and wait out the storm.

In any case, just figured I might fit in a little activity on the website before going in for what will be a long, long time at my job.

See you a little bit later, with new blog entries. In the meantime, take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment