Saturday, July 27, 2019

Some Old, Previously Unpublished Pics of the 2018 Rocky Mountain Trip


It is the weekend, and while there is plenty to write about going on around the world right now, I am trying, for my own sake, to give myself a break and take on lighter things for the weekend on this blog page. There have been a lot of heavy stories and issues lately. I wrote yesterday about the scorching temperatures around the world throughout the year of 2019, and how last month was the hottest on record in the recorded history of our planet. I will be writing more about that, soon, and more, of course, on Trump, on his twin separated at birth and newly elected Prime Minister of Great Britain, Boris Johnson.  

But all of that can wait for a while. It is the weekend, and I want to take a more relaxed approach, as a rule. Sometimes, I might not keep to this, but there has to be an effort to try and do this.  
This weekend, it seemed like a good idea to do something that I have wanted to do for some time now: post some previously unpublished pictures. These are pictures of many things, including past trips, and concerts, shows, and other events that I never got around to reviewing, and other things, as well.

And so I shall, beginning with some pictures from the trip my son and I took to the Rockies last year. That included a visit to Rocky Mountain National Park, where we actually went to the top of a mountain. No, we did not climb it, we drove and then did the mild hike to the very peak. It was much colder than the summer temperatures from the bottom, but well worth it, given the view!

It was Trail Ridge Mountain Road, which at some point crossed the Continental Divide at Milner Pass (elev. 10,758 ft or 3,279 m), and which also reached a peak elevation of 12,183 ft (3,713 m), near Fall River Pass.

I also added some other pictures, including from our hike at a park in Ward, Colorado, also high up among the Rocky Mountains, as well as some pictures of the Stanley Hotel (the inspiration for Stephen King's "The Shining") and the time we were driving back from some incredible sites at Yellowstone, and saw a buffalo walking casually along our side of the road, almost so close that we could reach out and touch him, even though we did not, since that would have been ill-advised and, I believe, disrespectful.

The picture which I put on top, and which begins the collection below is one which I enjoy very much. It shows my son and I atop the mountain, which is probably the highest point of Rocky Mountain National Park. The colors look so vivid, that it appeals to the eye. One of my very favorites! Both my son and I are wearing sweatshirts that we got during our visit to Yellowstone.

















































No comments:

Post a Comment