Friday, January 1, 2021

A Wonderful New Year's Sentiment by Neil Gaiman

 In 2018, I began reading Neil Gaiman. 


I was only vaguely aware of his work before that, but had heard about the Sandman comic series, which had sounded intriguing and had come highly recommended years ago by a friend, yet which I had never fully gotten into.

Then, while listening to the Q on 93.9 during one of my evening commutes, I heard a radio interview with Gaiman, and was really impressed with his intelligence, and his body of work. So, I went to my library and picked up one of his books, "The Ocean at the End of the Lane," which author Joe Hill (son of Stephen King) had described as being perfect, neither a word too short or too long. That was some high praise, and so I had to see what the book was like.

And it was good! Great, even, really!

So, I picked up another Gaiman book, this one, "Trigger Warning," a collection of short stories. Once again, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Predictably, I picked up another work of his, "Nevermore." That one I picked up more recently, and have only gotten so far with. But it is quite good to this point, and this trend with Gaiman is becoming common enough that I know it is no fluke. He is a terrific author!

I ran into a pretty amazing quote that serves as a wonderful New Year's sentiment, and thought I would share it here, being that this is New Year's Day, and all. Enjoy!

“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.”

Neil Gaiman

No comments:

Post a Comment