Friday, March 5, 2021

Spoof News Reports on Inconvenience & Rabid Hatred of Otherwise Mild-Mannered Second Jello Biafra

Sometimes, reading what can be called intentionally “fake news” can be quite entertaining and amusing.  

Usually, my favorite site for this kind of lighthearted news, which is often a little welcome break from the seriousness of real news, and sometimes even arguably has more intelligent and insightful commentary on the news of the day than what is considered legitimate news sources, would be The Onion.  

There are a few others, the names of which are not immediately coming to my mind at the moment.  

However, I recently ran into an obvious spoof article recently, and thought it would be worth sharing here.  

This article is about another man who happens to be named Jello Biafra, and who feels greatly inconvenienced by the far better known punk icon and former frontman for the Dead Kennedys who went with the name “Jello Biafra” as his punk pen name, so to speak.  

“I get these random pieces of fan mail from as far away as Estonia… and I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with them,” said Biafra from his modest three-bedroom home. 

“Jello Biafra is my legal name. From what I understand, he chose his name ironically — which is an insult to the long, proud line of Biafras, of which I am a direct descendant.”  

The name caused confusion and frustration for other people, as well.

“I saw a sign that said ‘Jello Biafra Insurance.’ So, of course, I assumed Jello was doing some sort of installation art piece in the middle of nowhere in Maryland,” said Jamal Keewaydin, the latest of many disappointed Dead Kennedys fans. 

“I asked him to play ‘Soup Is Good Food,’ and he took a swing at me and threw me out.”  “Him trying to fight me was the closest to the actual Jello Biafra he got,” Keewaydin added solemnly.  “I didn’t like it. It was all very aggressive,” said Biafra. 

“He said some very nasty things about the government, which I found offense — us Biafras are proud taxpayers. And whenever I apply for a loan or to be a volunteer or anything, they always assume I’m him. I once got kicked off the board of my Homeowner’s Association because somebody searched for my name online.”  

Of course, everyone knows that this is not a normal name. It was deliberately meant to put something silly and commercial side by side with a reminder of a horrific event in human history that had been quite recent when Eric Boucher (the real name, rather than the chosen name, of the punk icon) picked the name.  

It is a reference to the war in Nigeria, specifically in the region of the Biafra, which was trying to gain it’s independence from Nigeria in the late 1960’s into early 1970. The Nigerian forces received major military support from both the United Kingdom and the Soviet Union, two strange bedfellows in this instance, and both very powerful nations at the time. The Biafrans did not have such powerful allies, and were effectively outgunned. The Nigerians closed Biafra off from the rest of the world, and mass starvation ensued. One of my favorite authors, Kurt Vonnegut, visited the region during the war, and describes it in horrific detail. It was one of the major instances of genocide in recent world history.  

n any case, that is why it was chosen by Boucher, with the light and playful Jello being chosen as the first name. Obviously, nobody in real life would have such a ridiculous name, which makes the existence of a real Jello Biafra somewhere in Michigan, trying to live a normal life and be a conservative and respectable pillar of his community quite humorous.  

Take a look by clicking on the link below. It’s pretty funny!



Man Also Named Jello Biafra Sick and Tired of Being Asked If He’s Dead Kennedys Frontman published by Thehardtime.net: 

https://thehardtimes.net/music/man-also-named-jello-biafra-sick-and-tired-of-being-asked-if-hes-dead-kennedys-frontman/?fbclid=IwAR0BEsmDwYTCp7X-TP2iESRQIjXLi0GpcUClrapdWr9PESckUBYF-wV3RBc

No comments:

Post a Comment