Sunday, June 28, 2020

Hot Summer Afternoon at Skylands Botanical Garden in Ringwood







Yes, my son and I went back to Skylands Botanical Garden in Ringwood, New Jersey. on Monday. It may sound repetitive, because I have posted about this place numerous times before.  But if you know it, then you also know that it is a beautiful spot. And if you know of beautiful spots relatively close by, would you not make numerous visits?

This one was a bit different, because unlike our previous visits, it came on a sweltering hot summer afternoon. The temperatures were stifling, as was the humidity.

Still, this was the first time that I had seen my son in about three weeks, the second longest period of time that I had been away from him since he was born. After all, I was in quarantine, after my girlfriend tested positive. I had to work from home for my main job, and was taken off for one weekend (and only one weekend) for my second job. Also, I had to get tested. The results were negative, but still, I had to maintain my quarantine.

But it finally ended, and I got to spend time with my son again, just as the official academic year ended, and his official summer break began. Of course, no one has been in school - at least physically - since about mid-March or so. But he still had to try and keep up from home, even though that proved tough. My guess is that he needs the structure of an actual school day, one in which he physically goes to the school, to instill some measure of discipline. Hopefully, school will be back in come September, although I guess we will see, won't we?

In any case, I was very happy to see him again, and it felt something special was in order. But many places are still closed. Yet, the parks are still open (or rather, have re-opened), and it felt like the best place to go. We usually go hiking, but I was in the mood to do something even more special, like go for a walk in the woods, and then unwind and continue to read together while enjoying the views from a formal garden.

And so we went to Skylands, for a pleasant, albeit very hot, afternoon. 

Here are the pictures from yesterday's trip to Ringwood, New Jersey, at Skylands Manor. The water was back in the fountains, although the fountains themselves were not running (at least not yet). And the gardens are not quite full, although they were quite beautiful nevertheless.

Enjoy!


































No comments:

Post a Comment