Saturday, August 29, 2020

Watkins Glen Stork Nest

Watkins Glen was a charming little village, right next to Seneca Lake, which is the largest of the so-called Finger Lakes. There were some good dining options, and the town was handsome, and bigger than I had assumed, especially for the region.
 
We visited the State Park there, and enjoyed that. But I already covered that in a previous post.
 
One thing that we saw, and which came as a surprise to me, was seeing a stork's nest on the side of the road. These I had seen plenty in Europe in 2013 and 2019, particularly in eastern Europe (Poland and Slovakia especially). But I had never seen one in the United States, or indeed even in all of North America.
 
Until yesterday, when we spotted this huge stork's nest (at least I assume that it was indeed a stork's nest) either in or just outside of Watkins Glen.

Note: I should also say that we encountered a second stork's nest when we drove up from Hornell up to Buffalo, perhaps in Orchard Park. Or, it might have been on the drive from Buffalo to Rochester and/or the Chimney Bluffs yesterday. This time around, I did not stop to take a picture, although it was equally as thrilling!
 
Here are pictures of the nest, as well as the distinctive looking crosswalks at Watkins Glen, which were of checkerboard design, rather than the zebra stripes.








No comments:

Post a Comment