Monday, March 11, 2024

NIN's Downward Spiral Turns 30

  





Recently, Trent Reznor reflected a bit on a major anniversary from the early days of his iconic band Nine Inch Nails (NIИ), one of the defining bands of the nineties.

Just days ago was the 30th anniversary of the release of one of their most famous albums, ‘The Downward Spiral,’ which came out on March 8, 1994. 

“Spending too much time looking backwards feels dangerous to me, but this day on the calendar caught my attention,” Reznor wrote.  

“Has it really been that long, old friend?
I just spent an hour listening to this time capsule of what 28 year old me had to say, and it still excites me and breaks my heart.
Be kind to yourselves. Hope to see you soon.”

Indeed, the album was huge. At a time when it seemed that grunge was still the dominant trend in music, the industrial rock sounds of Nine Inch Nails (and others) seemed to mark a new direction. Indeed, it sometimes feels as if the music of NIИ foreshadowed popular trends that would come in the following decades.

Of course, there was no way to know that then. However, there are some truly immortal works on this album. "Hurt" instantly became one of my favorite songs. One of the best things that I can say about it is that despite having heard it probably hundreds of times by now, I still somehow have never gotten sick of this song yet.

Anyway, the album is now three decades old. Below is a link to the article that got me on this topic to begin with. 




Trent Reznor on ‘The Downward Spiral’ at 30: “It still excites me and breaks my heart” by Max Pilley 8th March 2024:

“Has it really been that long, old friend?" 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/trent-reznor-on-the-downward-spiral-at-30-it-still-excites-me-and-breaks-my-heart-3598825?fbclid=IwAR0-dmP8irlvLivYkpL865U6JxyZm9OUGVpqJuHN9XbAl-QSfTCuWfaArMI

No comments:

Post a Comment