Monday, March 11, 2024

The Family Name & It's Meaning



Some years ago (2017, to be precise) a family member of mine from the other side of the Atlantic (France) sent me this via Facebook. She shares the same last name as my family, although she married into it. Still, this is her last name, and I guess she took some pride in it. So she shared it with me.

Now, I am not arguing that all of this is true. However, I did like this, and wanted to post it here. Yet, it was one of those things which just kind of got swept under the rug. Before long, I basically forgot about it, admittedly.

Recently, I rediscovered it. This time, it seemed like a good idea to actually post a blog entry about it.

It begins with my name, and a couple of words underneath:

BORDEAU

Depuis 1458

Which means, Bordeau since 1458. A name that thus obviously goes back a long time. Well over 500 years. In fact, it is approaching 600 years. 

Next comes the description, a sort of history of how people came to obtain the name:

"Dans le passé, quand quelqu'un se distinguiat par se courage, son honorabilité et son integrite, on lui donnait le nom Bordeau. Quand les gens recontraient qualequ'un qui portrait le nom de ta famille, ils savaient qu'ils avaient à faire avec qualqu'un d'exceptionnel qui honore toujours ses engagements."

This is what it means, roughly translated into English:

"In the past, when someone distinguished himself by his courage, his honorability and his integrity, he was given the name Bordeau. When people met someone who bore your family name, they knew they were dealing with someone exceptional who always honors his commitments."

Well, how about that? 

Of course, I am not sure that this can be considered true or not. What I do know is that "Bordeau" means in French, simply, by the water. The "Bord" part is close enough to the word border that most English speakers would be able to see the relation. And by now, even most English speakers have heard the word "eau" for water. Thus, Bordeau means "by the water," which I am guessing means that our ancestors lived somewhere by a major source of water. But there is a major city, and even a region of France named Bordeaux (with that x at the end). Wine connoisseurs are familiar with Bordeaux wine, which is from that region. It is a pretty common name in France.

As for literal translations of my full name, which is Charles Serge Bordeau, 

My first name, Charles, has either Anglo-Saxon or Germanic roots dating back to Charlemagne. No, I am not claiming to be one of his many, many descendants, although I guess it's not impossible. Whatever the roots, almost all of the websites seemed to be in agreement that it literally means a "free man." 

My middle name, Serge, means guardian, yet it also is described as "denoting a type of woolen cloth and hence a metonymic occupational name for a maker or seller of this material or from the personal name Serge." Interesting.

My family name (last name) is Bordeau. Obviously, it has French roots, and according to Ancestry.com, it is a "topographic name a derivative of Borde ‘hut smallholding small farm’. It may also be a habitational name from any of the places called Bordeau. Altered form of French Bourdeau a variant of 1 above."

Some fascinating stuff. In the age before the internet, I had looked up the meanings of the words, and found that "Charles" meant "man," and "Serge" meant "nice." So I had assumed that my full name literally translated to "nice man by the water."

Now I know better. There may be more than one interpretation. But it seems like my name might translate to guardian man protecting his cloths, with a small hut or farm, living by the water and hailing from the Bordeaux region of France. And now, you know, too.




Below are the source I used in writing this particular blog entry, and obtaining the origins and/or meanings of my name:


Charles by Nicole Duddy Content Writer Updated March 01, 2024 Fact Checked by Emily Bagg:

https://www.thebump.com/b/charles-baby-name



Serge by She Knows:

https://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/serge/



Serge Family History Serge Name Meaning by Ancestry.com:

https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=serge



Bordeau Family History Bordeau Name Meaning by Ancestry.com:

https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=bordeau

No comments:

Post a Comment