Thursday, March 28, 2024

Pink Floyd's "The Division Bell" Celebrates 30 Year Anniversary

On this day in 1994, exactly 30 years ago, Pink Floyd released "The Division Bell."

Unbeknownst to many - certainly myself included - this would wind up being the last album proper that this legendary band would release. Ironically, this was also the first (and obviously last) real new official release from the legendary Floyd that I would really get into. In fact, my father and brother and I went to see them at Yankee Stadium later that summer, a show that still ranks as one of my favorite concerts of all time. The laser lights, the clarity of the music, and the overall atmosphere (as well as the day that we enjoyed just prior as a family) all added to special memories.

In any case, it just seemed like a good idea to acknowledge this date. It was 29 years ago, on this day, that we finally got to experience "The Division Bell," which I feel is an underrated album. It really got my imagination going. "High Hopes" is my very favorite song from that album, and in fact, it seems like I hear and feel different things whenever I listen to it. What I heard back then as a 19-year-old kid, when the album was first released, was very different. Somehow, I hear and feel very different things now that I am older and, as Pink Floyd themselves have pointed out, "closer to death."

In any case, it seemed appropriate to share this particular song for the occasion of marking the release of this album, which I still enjoy, and which still ranks high in my heart among Floyd's releases, even though most fans tend to overlook it. 









This is a picture of the ticket stub for the show at Yankee Stadium when my father, brother, and I went to the Bronx to see Pink Floyd on the tour supporting "The Division Bell." It was a fantastic day, capped off by an unforgettable show. The music sounded incredibly clear, and the laser light show was spectacular. 

No comments:

Post a Comment