Friday, March 8, 2024

Rolling Stone Creates List of the 100 Greatest Beatles Solo Songs

    




Ran into this article earlier in the day on social media (Facebook, specifically).

Rolling Stone magazine has created a list of the 100 top solo songs from the Beatles. 

The song that tops the list is Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed." While I recognize that it is a beautiful and meaningful song, with lyrics dedicated to Paul's wife, Linda McCartney, it would not have been my choice for the number one song in that regard.

That honor, in my humble opinion, should belong to John Lennon, with "Imagine." To me, that is such a timeless and powerful song, and instant classic, that it is instantly recognized around much of the world. It has an imagery all it's own, and actually lays out a vision of an admittedly idealized  world that aspires to the very best in all of us. In fact, it has kind of become an anthem of sorts.

And yet, despite this fame, and despite almost everyone being familiar with it, it also happens to be one of those rare songs which I personally have never grown tired of. I have always loved the song, but it seemed to take on a very different meaning shortly after the Paris attacks in November of 2015, when some guy brought his piano out to the streets of Paris and played his powerful rendition of "Imagine," which I found brought something different to the song, yet was perfect for the occasion.

To me, frankly, that would have been the obvious choice. But perhaps that's just me. Again, nothing against Paul McCartney, and "Maybe I'm Amazed" would rank very highly on my own such list. Possibly number two. But "Imagine" has endured and become almost mythical in status, and this is for good reason. Hell, I went to Strawberry Fields in Central Park some years ago, and one of the highlights was the artistic "Imagine" design right at the entrance. There is a reason why it has reached that level of fame. 

How about you guys? Do you agree or disagree with this Rolling Stone list, or for that matter, the arguments I am making? Why or why not? Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Meanwhile, below is a link to an article about this list:



Rolling Stone picks the 100 best Beatles solo songs Source: ABC News/everettpost.com Thursday, March 07, 2024:

https://www.beatlesradio.com/rolling-stone-picks-the-100-best-beatles-solo-songs?fbclid=IwAR2fjRCQ-EMb-hTsrF8DJZYnxXaN-ZRAItdY9dXmAtu4DYrG9PKQTwXxWBQ

No comments:

Post a Comment