Tuesday, November 27, 2018

The Big Lebowski Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Cult Film's Release

Last night, as I was preparing to leave for my night job, I watched a little bit of the movie, Elf" on television. Not too long into watching it, I found myself laughing, and it was one of those situations where I was wishing that I could stay and watch the entirety of the movie. 

There are movies that do that for you, that just make you laugh, even if you have seen them before. Sometimes, you might even laugh more the second time around. That seems to happen with me and one television show in particular, Impractical Jokers. Somehow, that makes me laugh more the second and third time around, perhaps because I know now what to expect, and that is what makes it even funnier.

One strange thing, though, is when you "get" a movie a whole lot better the second or third time that you see it.

Such was the case with The Big Lebowski, which I saw, possibly in the theaters, or perhaps shortly after it came out on video or DVD. That first time, I think there were some parts that I found mildly amusing, but my memory is not one of laughing out loud, perhaps even crying with laughter, like I did with, say, Borat, or Elf, or Step Brothers, or My, Myself, and Irene.

Yet, quite a few years later, after a friend had mentioned it with considerable admiration, I decided to watch it again. And this time, it felt like an entirely different movie. Suddenly, it was a movie that I was indeed laughing out loud to, and found myself enjoying quite a bit.  Not sure what happened in the intervening years, or perhaps, what was wrong with me, personally, the first time viewing the movie. Perhaps I was in a bad mood, or just somehow not all that into it. 

Safe to say that now, however, I have become a fan, which is why it seemed appropriate to post this particular blog entry, which I have been hanging onto for a while. It is on the 20th anniversary of the release of the movie. Hard to believe that this came out in 1998, and even harder to believe that 1998 was indeed actually 20 years ago!

Here is a link to an article where the three main actors - Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, and Steve Buscemi - get together and reflect on this cult comedy classic. Enjoy!




The Dude Turns 20! Jeff Bridges, John Goodman and Steve Buscemi Look Back on The Big Lebowski by Ale Russian  10/18/2018:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/the-dude-turns-20-jeff-bridges-john-goodman-and-steve-buscemi-look-back-on-the-big-lebowski/ar-BBOyPpT?ocid=sf


No comments:

Post a Comment