Saturday, January 29, 2022

Yesterday Marked the Anniversary of the Beginning of Construction of the Eiffel Tower





Yesterday marked the anniversary of the Eiffel Tower.

It was on January 28, 1887 that construction began on what would wind up being one of the most famous monuments in the world. When it was completed, it was the tallest manmade structure in the world by far. it also kept that title for over 40 years.

Far from being appreciated at first, the initial reactions were mostly negative. People at the time thought it was ugly, an eyesore that detracted from Paris, rather than adding to it or being almost inseparable from the city's identity, as it has since become. Many complained loudly, including some of the most famous voices of the time. It was assumed that it was just temporary, and would be torn down a few years after the World Exposition of 1889 that it was built for.

Obviously, though, it was not torn down. In fact, it has become one of the most iconic, instantly recognizable landmarks in the entire world. Everybody knows the Eiffel Tower, and these days, nobody questions it's beauty. Paris is hard to imagine without it, frankly.

So even though this comes a day late, here's to the Eiffel Tower!

In order to celebrate properly, I thought it would be a nice touch to add some personal pictures of this most famous and beautiful landmark. Most of these pictures were from the trip that my son and I took to Paris in 2019, although I also added one picture from my 1998 trip with my brother, as well.






Joyeux Anniversaire Tour Eiffel! 28 Janvier 1887







Here is picture of me at the Eiffel Tower literally days after I shaved my head for the first time. This would have been in August of 1998. 






Arguably my favorite picture - without my son in it - from the recent trip to Europe this summer.



The Eiffel Tower Hardcover – December 30, 1984 by Charles Rickard (Author), Alain d'Orange (Author)    Editions Ouest-France (December 30, 1984)

These are my favorite pictures of the Eiffel Tower from the recent trip to Paris that I took with my son during this past August:




















































The Eiffel Tower at Night




























































No comments:

Post a Comment