Tuesday, August 17, 2021

My Son & I Are On Our Way to Another Trip




My son and I have made a habit of going on trips annually. Indeed, we have been blessed in this regard, and have gotten to enjoy a number of great trips together in this way. We have visited the American South, the American West, crossed over into one Mexican town, and also visited different parts of Canada, and even Europe.

They are not always late in August, although this has become something of a habit now for the past few years. We went to the American South, New England, and parts of other states, as well as eastern Canada, in June of 2014. We visited Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City around Canada Day (late June into early July) back in 2017. But the August trips tend to be the most common ones. That is when we went in both 2012 and 2013, 2015 and 2016, 2018, 2019, and last year, 2020 (that one stretched out into early September).

One of the good things that has come out of these trips is that both of us feel that we have gotten a chance to see and experience a bit of the world. Seen some remarkable sites, marveled at some beauty, both natural and human made, tasted different foods, seen other ways of living. Another good aspect of this is that it seems to have piqued my son's curiosity and desire for traveling more. 

I take pride in saying that's my boy!

Hopefully, we will visit some other regions of the world that neither of us have been to yet. However, the pandemic has kind of put a damper on the international possibilities in the past couple of years. I guess we might have had the chance this year, if we really wanted to, but it seemed a bit of a weird year to try and do that kind of thing, so it felt a necessity to stay domestic, this year and last year. 

Most of these trips are during the summer, and particularly in August, although there have been some smaller trips, more modest ones, often times, to other regions, as well. Visiting my brother in the Adirondacks, and taking days trips to Canada, for example. Perhaps visiting my parents in northwestern New York, and taking in some of the sites in that area. Or day trips to other cities, like Washington and Philadelphia. Cool little excursions, in other words. 

Now, it is August again. The second half of August, specifically, which is usually our time to travel. Maybe next year, I will try something different. We'll see. But August works well, because I know he is still off from school in August. 

Still, in the future, I might try to mix it up. Take some trips at other times of the year, when he would also get some time off from school. Nothing against August, but sometimes, yes, it feels like we should try and do something a little bit different.

In any case, we are headed out to Newark Airport this morning, for an early morning flight. I am packed, and about to head out right now, in fact. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a sleepless night for me. Not highly unusual, since I usually seem to have a nervous energy on the night before one of our trips. But it feels always like there is plenty to worry about. 

This particular post is something that I wanted to write and get out there, and which I usually do on the day before, or the day of, departure for one of these trips. Mostly, it is because it feels like fair warning, just in case you do not see a blog entry for a while. 

Usually, I have had internet connection, and thus been able to post pictures along the way, during these trips. However, this is never a certainty, so I do not want to assume that this will be the case. That is why I am posting this, just in case, as a warning that I might not be able to post anything for a little while. Hopefully, I will be able to, but we shall see.

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment