Wednesday, August 25, 2021

We’re Back From the Southern Trip of 2021

Yes, we are back. Back in New Jersey, the Garden State, after spending almost a week away, in the South.              

Not sure if my enthusiasm translates well in the written word. As I write this, it has not been nine full hours since our plane touched down on the tarmac at Newark-Liberty International Airport.              


As per usual, I landed sighing and feeling a bit sad to see another trip done and pass into history. I love spending time with my son, but these trips in particular are special. It feels like these are some of our favorite memories together. It also makes me feel like it helps us achieve a special kind of bond, something that was confirmed just last night – the last night of this particular trip – when he said, with some measure of pride, I might add – that he felt that not everybody could do what we do, in terms of traveling/driving lost distances to maximize what we see and experience during those trips.              


In any case, it just seemed like something that I should mention now. So that is what I am doing. The other blog entry today will be a sad one about the recent passing of Charlie Watts, who died yesterday.              


Tomorrow, however, I will try to return back to the trip. There is plenty that I will write about it still, and many pictures that I have not even yet managed to get off of my phone. So it will be a busy few days for me, and for here, the Charbor Chronicles.              


See you guys soon!





















2 comments:

  1. Welcome back. I especially like that third picture, because that corner house looks really old, like something you'd find in Europe. I don't know if you happened to notice, but it seems to have shutters that aren't merely hammered on for show, but that actually shut. Radical concept on this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only did I notice, but noticed that there are a ton of shutters throughout the old city district of New Orleans. Many of them are almost on street level, so you can see them up close and personal. It is a very beautiful city, and I would definitely recommend it. Would compare it with either Vieux Quebec or Vieux Montreal, but they are just so different. The French Quarter, or Vieux Carré (I seem to be the only one who refers to it as such) has a blend of influences, and so on some levels, shows more architectural diversity than Quebec. The French were in both places, but you also see some Spanish and Creole influences, as well. And yeah, I loved that corner house as well, and it reminded me of Europe, too. It looked really charming. That was why I took the picture of it. Supposedly, it is haunted, but it seems that every other house in new Orleans has some kind of haunted credentials.

      Delete